Game freezes up periodically...

Here you can post your problems and questions.
Jaxon

Post by Jaxon »

So I have been getting this issue where my screen will freeze up, like a screenshot. I can still hear the game going on as normal like if i walk i can hear it or whatever is going on around me all as normal but the video is frozen. When I hit escape I get the mouse icon and I can move it around but that is it. I have to go to the task manager and shut ARMA II down. Sometimes I can play for hours and sometimes it happens within the first few minutes, kill the game, log back in and it happens again. It happens in my regular Origins server as well as any server I go into. Here is the weird part... A few weeks back I bought a new gaming laptop where it started happening. The motherboard fried so I sent it back. This week I just had a gaming machine built and after the first day it started to happen again. The ONLY thing these two machines had in common is they both have GTX980's in them. During one freeze up yesterday I noticed a message in my action center before it disappeared that said something about my video driver stopped working or something like that. I went into my NVIDIA EXPERIENCE and there was a driver update but it pretty much only stated that it was for the TITAN X but since it came up as a new driver for my card I installed it anyway. Right away the game didn't freeze up for the next few hours and eventually I shut the computer off for the night. Tonight I log in and it is doing it again, quite frequently. I have played with all the settings, turned off AA and Vsync and back on again, messed with the resolutions, made ARMA II a priority in the task manager and various other things but nothing is working. Its getting pretty frustrating. After seeing the message about the driver and thinking that its the only thing both brand new systems I have had in the last month had in common (I know a mobile GTX 980 and desktop are really two different things) it makes me feel its a driver issue. I need some ideas or has anybody had any experience with something like this? I need some help :(

Edit: On a side note, when goggling the problem some people suggested that the video card is probably overheating causing the driver to restart. I can't see this being the issue, the odds of my two systems having the same problem are slim to none, as well after my last crash my video card was running 53 degrees Celsius.
Mace

Post by Mace »

I have exactly the same problem. GTX 970, intel i5 4690K, win 7 64bit.
And its not temperature issue.
Jaxon

Post by Jaxon »

I have been all over the net trying to find a fix for this. In the NVIDIA official forums there are tons of people having this issue and not just in ARMA II. My system is only a few days old so all I have played is DayZ Mod and DayZ SA. I haven't had the issue in SA but I haven't spent much time playing it. Looks live NVIDIA has really dropped the ball on their drivers. I don't think there is a fix until NVIDIA sorts out this problem. So frustrated!