Idea's to improve the new levels system

You have good ideas and suggestions for the next update? Post it here.
wyogamer

Post by wyogamer »

So the new leveling system is great. But its confusing and even for players who understand it, its quite aggravating. The randomness of gaining experience is frustrating for everyone. If you want to slow it down, instead of the randomness that is live (something like 25% chance of gaining experience when you successfully repair a tire), just take the total experience and multiply it by the randomness. If it takes 10 repairs of wheels but 25% chance, then make it take 40 wheels but not be random at all. I've used 30+ scrap on low tier cars and gained 1 experience for it total. Not sure if this was an accident but if its the introductory "skill" to learn, and we read the book, I don't think it should fail. It can go orange instead of red, and when we finish, yellow or green, but it shouldn't fail most of the time.

This change is big and I'm not sure if its possible, but considering any car blows up with 3-5 makorov shots to the engine, can you change cars to be MUCH MUCH harder to blow up. If a cars engine goes to 0%. It should stop working. But cars don't just explode randomly. This change would be huge and save a lot of peoples aggrivation that comes from the new vehicle system taking because its so easy to blow vehicles now.

Not sure if this was considered from a new players perspective, but origins just became by far the hardest mod. This is good and bad, but most think its a bit too difficult to repair a car. Maybe until you have learned the book, you can only repair to yellow? (Half). But being unable to repair body, engine past orange is very demotivating for even old players.

TLDR: make the experience system 100% reliable, no randomness, increase total exp needed to keep the time spent about the same.
sterchen

Post by sterchen »

Good morning, good post! Push push I will fully agree with your arguments. ;)
PooperScooper9000

Post by PooperScooper9000 »

You are spot on with everything. The RNG to gain experience is way too much in my opinion. I spent hours of countless "beefin in the streets" in spawn towns without even completing the 1.1 medical book. Countless bandages and painkillers used with little experience. I don't even think I am at the half way point in bandaging, and not even at a quarter for painkillers. With college and working at the same time, how am I supposed to beneficial to the group that I play with or even myself if I don't play as much as they have because they have more free time than I do. I don't even think they have the first 1.1 medical book completed anyway, maybe one or two people at most. Don't get me started with easy to blow up cars. I have seen one maky shot to one of my car's engines and it is like a nuclear explosion happened from a simple makarov bullet.

I totally agree on wyogamer's suggestion about improving the leveling system to make it not RNG and it gives XP every time, while increasing the total XP needed (when you so happen to get the experience from the RNG). Cheers
korbmeister

Post by korbmeister »

yeah I agree with that too it takes too long to level up and its not worth fixig vehicles because they blow up instantly no matter what you repair...
3sec

Post by 3sec »

I don't think randomness should be completely removed but it should be easier in general.

The repair skill sidequests are great, even if we should get scrap metal if we dissamble something and there's no part we get from.

My suggestion for the repair value (since damage is 1-repair value):
(0.1 + 0.8*skill + (0.1*(random 20))) min 1.0
- gives at least 10% repair
- even a repair "idiot" has the chance to get to 30%
- full skill actually means 90%+
- at full skill there's a 50% chance to get 100%

Maybe tweak the first value (0.1) a little bit higher than the average spawn repair value. (Would be useful if used with my below suggestion.)
(Values should be tweaked by experience since I had to learn that the random function is a bitch if it comes to reliable random numbers. Had a script that breaks the axe if (random 700) < 1. We never made it past 30 wood piles with higher or lower values. Output seems to be close to 0 often.)

For the skill progress I'd like to reflect what actually happens. If I repair something I gain experience by doing something right or wrong (in this case I'd just go for doing it right). So everytime I repair a car and the hitpoint damage of that specific part goes down compared to the value it had before I made something right. And this difference should be the experience I gain. I don't really know a value for this being maxed (maybe 10). Advantages:
- repairing broken cars gives more than just repairing the same car over and over again (players will go for spawn cars and get a wider experience)
- the higher you're skilled the faster it should go (if you have 80% skill and repair a spawn car with 10% on that hitpoint you gain at least 0.64)
- xp gain starts slow, but goes faster the higher you already are
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

Totally agree with cars being easy to blow up. I have shot plenty of cars in my friends backyard with my AR15 and never has one blew up lol. If the engine is running you can set it on fire pretty easy but still no explosion.

With that said it should only catch on fire/explode if the car in game is running but not just sitting there. Explosives should be the only way to destroy a non running car.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

ishootpaint wrote:Totally agree with cars being easy to blow up. I have shot plenty of cars in my friends backyard with my AR15 and never has one blew up lol. If the engine is running you can set it on fire pretty easy but still no explosion.

With that said it should only catch on fire/explode if the car in game is running but not just sitting there. Explosives should be the only way to destroy a non running car.
Ive got to disagree with this. A car should only explode and be engulfed in flames if the vehicle has fuel in. A stationary car or a moving car with fuel should be more vulnerable.

Cars are pretty easy to blow up especially when I am driving one :P
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

Thomas Sullivan Magnum wrote:
ishootpaint wrote:Totally agree with cars being easy to blow up. I have shot plenty of cars in my friends backyard with my AR15 and never has one blew up lol. If the engine is running you can set it on fire pretty easy but still no explosion.

Ive got to disagree with this. A car should only explode and be engulfed in flames if the vehicle has fuel in. A stationary car or a moving car with fuel should be more vulnerable.

Cars are pretty easy to blow up especially when I am driving one :P
Fuel should play a role but bullets cant ignite fuel unless they are incendiary rounds that need atleast 100m to ignite from air friction. And the cars ive used as targets in RL have had fuel in them.

If the car is running rounds can damage components like the altinator which will spark and ignite fuel assuming you also ruptured the fuel lines or rail.

I guess the point i was trying to make is it is very very unlikely that bullets would make a car catch fire if the engine is not running, fuel or not.

Im going to his house this weekend to shoot so ill let you know if i can get it to ignite using steel core ammo since steel on steel would make a spark. The problem is gonna be that the steel core is under copper and lead and may not break away enough to expose the steel by the time it hits the gas tank. Im totally doing this for science and not because its fun :mrgreen:
Last edited by ishootpaint on 30 Oct 2015 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

Heat + Fuel + Air = Fire :)
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

Thomas Sullivan Magnum wrote:Heat + Fuel + Air = Fire :)
Indeed, except for bullets are not as hot as you may think. Doing penetration tests on stacks of books you can dig the bullet out right after and there is no charing on the paper and while the bullet is very hot you can still hold it like a hot potato lol.

If you ever find yourself on my side of the pond ill take you out shooting. Also im pretty sure they did this same scenario on the show mythbusters and they could only get the fuel to ignite with the aforementioned incendiary rounds from far away. And even then they had to take the gas tank out of the car and shoot it by itself.

But on to the topic because all this just gave me an idea. Once you research the fuel tanks parts you could use a cloth and matches to burn down parked cars assuming they have enough gas in them. To simulate you shoving a rag in their gas opening and lighting it on fire.