Proposal for a new lock system for vehicles

General discussion about the Mod.
TheScholar

Proposal for a new lock system for vehicles

Post by TheScholar »

Many servers have turned the lock system OFF on their servers after a short experimentation period. It's unfortunate because the lock system suddenly meant that electrical circuits actually became relevant and the battery and codelocks were not ignored except when building. The boxes in the forests that the electrical circuits spawned in became player focuses alongside missions and players were expanding their normal perimeters to search for the circuits. More player movement...more firefights.

Here's my proposal....change the lock system to where a special key is no longer necessary ( except for the flying fortress ).....all that should be needed to crack a locked chopper/car/ or boat when locked is..the same ingredients needed to lock them in the first place..... a toolbox...an electrical circuit....a battery and a codelock.... The present need for the EISL tool makes vehicle locks OP and takes fun away from the players. This also means that the electrical circuit would be something sought after again.

PS...it wouldn't be a bad idea 'sometimes" tospawn some ammo...or a gun or PDA in the electrcal circuit boxes the odd time when circuits aren't spawned in that local.

As for now... I miss making trips to try and find the circuits...they are redundant again on our server with the lock feature off.
RookTheChariot

Re: Proposal for a new lock system for vehicles

Post by RookTheChariot »

I'm an admin on a server which uses the lock system and I'm grateful it's hard to crack a lock on a vehicle or heli. Before it was introduced, we would be spending quite a bit of our time search for players stolen vehicles/helis. But I understand the some people may not like the locking system as is. So I propose that if you were to implement a change to the locking system, like the one TheScholar has suggested, then make it an option you can turn on or off in Origins Guard. That way the server owner can decided (hopefully after speaking with his regular players) whether to us it.
Last edited by RookTheChariot on 14 Jan 2015 00:48, edited 1 time in total.
JoePowell

Post by JoePowell »

I for one love the lock system, and the chance that players/groups can find the EILSC tool to crack vehicles I think this should remain the same, it is the fact that it is hard to find that makes it valuable, it is because players do not want to put the effort into acquiring the EILSC tool that they whine (I am sorry to say it, but its the truth). What would the EILSC tool be if everyone had it? - It would not be that rare or valuable then.

This is just my opinion, but as you can see on INT005 we respect the players opinions and that is why it is turned off.
TheScholar

Post by TheScholar »

Joe..you want the truth?..locks make the game too easy...I had plenty of locked vehicles...I'm complaining and I was one of the guys with multiple locked vehicles.....that's why I proposed that the same ingredients are used to lock and to crack..it still allows the locking ability but it doesn't make it too easy to keep vehicles...I was disappointed when I ran into my raft still locked in Novi a week later while I was in my new lockable PBX...it was then that I thought the lock system should be modified...and look now on INT005...even though you like it the lock is off..wouldn't be better if at least we still had it...I think under my proposal using a toolbox ..codelock ...battery and electrical circuit to both lock and crack we wouldn't even be talking...the lock would be in and stealing vehicles would still be tough...... especially after cracking and finding out that all the tires are off or all the parts are stripped as an extra safety precaution against theft. Now we have nothing...my idea is better than nothing and searching for electrical circuits would matter again.
Last edited by TheScholar on 14 Jan 2015 12:19, edited 2 times in total.
TheScholar

Post by TheScholar »

I was looking for a compromise because it doesn't have to be have or have not....but somewhere in the middle where the lock system would still be available...I don't want the lock gone ....just modified a bit
TheScholar

Post by TheScholar »

any thoughts devs?
=(eGO)=GoldenPSP

Post by =(eGO)=GoldenPSP »

I'm sorry but I fail to see where the problem lies. In most cases it isn't terribly difficult to destroy a vehicle to begin with. So if you can't crack the lock, just blow it up, and then go fix it up for yourself after the next restart (if your goal is to get control of said vehicle). Or ambush the owner when he unlocks it to get at the loot.

The EILSC tool seems to spawn pretty much 100% of the time in the sec b urals. It's not THAT hard to get one, even solo. If you get lucky with a ural spawn at say the radio tower you don't even have to do a full clear if the tool is what you are after. Clear enough to get to the ural, grab the EILSC and go.

As a usual lone wolf style player I personally have loved the addition of locks. It isn't THAT easy to find the electrical circuits to lock a vehicle, but once I do I at least can secure a small bit of storage while I can farm up for a house/garage.
TheScholar

Post by TheScholar »

Man I wish kids would read the whole thread before wading in...most servers have turned the lock off...including ours..Why?...because players think it sucks the way it is...so understand that or not the point is ..lets try to make it better...players have spoken...if the lock system is to make a return I believe that the same method to lock/crack is the way...I don't want to destroy the vehicle...I want it now and I want to see if it's loaded with loot...the fact is...most servers have rejected the lock system the way it is...That's the problem!!..get it now??...but players may warm up to idea of the lock under a new format...namely..my proposal
_Adriano_

Post by _Adriano_ »

So I think the best idea is not a codelock but a key. Kill the owner and you get the key of the vehicle, it becomes yours and you can lock it. The dead owner can try to have the key back by huntind down his killer.
=(eGO)=GoldenPSP

Post by =(eGO)=GoldenPSP »

TheScholar wrote:Man I wish kids would read the whole thread before wading in...most servers have turned the lock off...including ours..Why?...because players think it sucks the way it is...so understand that or not the point is ..lets try to make it better...players have spoken...if the lock system is to make a return I believe that the same method to lock/crack is the way...I don't want to destroy the vehicle...I want it now and I want to see if it's loaded with loot...the fact is...most servers have rejected the lock system the way it is...That's the problem!!..get it now??...but players may warm up to idea of the lock under a new format...namely..my proposal
So a few tips for working with people contributing in your thread. First off, it doesn't generally help your argument to disparage those who are attempting to contribute. I am far from a kid, and I did read the entire thread several times (all 6 posts as of the time of my reply).

You make the claim that most servers have turned locking off (no citation or backup data). And you claim it is because the majority of players don't like it. (again no citation). In the first 6 posts, there have been 2 others who have replied besides you. One, claiming to be a server admin likes the lock system. Another who is a user who also likes the system, but understands people are too lazy to make the effort for the parts necessary and therefore whine. So far your threadnaught has not had the overwhelming response that helps to back up your claims of massive unpopularity. Maybe most server owners have turned it off, but so far they haven't come here to back you up. Maybe the majority of players have spoken, but they certainly haven't here yet.

Beyond your first claims that the lock system is bad because it is unpopular (so far unproven), your ONLY actual example is that you had a locked raft that remained locked for a whole week? Also not very compelling. It's a RAFT. I have had a raft with building supplies and other loot make it a week without anyone stealing my stuff. Not sure that saying nobody has tried to crack your raft is a compelling argument that locks are OP.

In light of this overwhelming evidence and support you have shown so far, I was simply voicing my viewpoint on the lock system. You make it clear that you obviously did not create this thread to actually discuss or debate the topic. But rest assured I am sure the devs are putting this at the top of their list due to your bulletproof arguments and data.