UPDATE on 1.8 status?

General discussion about the Mod.
FromTheInternets

UPDATE on 1.8 status?

Post by FromTheInternets »

JoePowell wrote:
Zidane9Z wrote: The real question is, WHEN will someone in the dev team step up and make the whole dev team realize, that the community deserves better than this and we can't treat them how we want. Hopefully someone will do it.
The sad thing is that you do not seem to understand or show any appreciation when this happens. In the past when we have tried to do things differently and provide information - don't get me wrong we could improve on when and how often we provide information but at the end of the day we are not paid to create or run this mod we all volunteer and to be SH!T talked to on an almost daily basis is beyond what any person should have to deal with. Of course there are going to be trolls but even people who are posting in this topic are guilty of causing offence, sometimes you may not realise but what you say is actually hurtful to people who spend their spare time developing a game that has no return in monetary value. Also I have spoke to you before now Zidane and you have refused to speak to me in a civilised manner so for you to all of a sudden expect that from other people is quite contradictorive.

Anyway a lot of people on the Staff team have had a lot of real life changes and impacts on their lives however in the next few months once I settle in with my new changes I will strive to get origins into that friendly community environment that it once was and I will be looking for people to help, so please consider if you can spare time to moderate the forum or help out people in the ts or be a content writer, graphics designer or tutorial writer then please do message me (I know that what I just wrote was broken english but its late at night and I am realllllllllly tired).
Also with the production of the new website we will be able to improve our communication skills as I have a few ideas for that aspect.

Kind Regards,

And sleep tight.

-Joe
Well this surely clears things up. I thought that you guys were paid at least a little to do this so I was somewhat disappointed, but now that I know that you do it for free I can appreciate it more. I guess a lot of the negative feedback came from some people thinking that you do get paid to do this at least a little and also that you info very little or just nothing in months about the progress and such.
JoePowell

UPDATE on 1.8 status?

Post by JoePowell »

SGTSADSACK wrote:
JoePowell wrote:
Zidane9Z wrote: The real question is, WHEN will someone in the dev team step up and make the whole dev team realize, that the community deserves better than this and we can't treat them how we want. Hopefully someone will do it.
The sad thing is that you do not seem to understand or show any appreciation when this happens. In the past when we have tried to do things differently and provide information - don't get me wrong we could improve on when and how often we provide information but at the end of the day we are not paid to create or run this mod we all volunteer and to be SH!T talked to on an almost daily basis is beyond what any person should have to deal with. Of course there are going to be trolls but even people who are posting in this topic are guilty of causing offence, sometimes you may not realise but what you say is actually hurtful to people who spend their spare time developing a game that has no return in monetary value. Also I have spoke to you before now Zidane and you have refused to speak to me in a civilised manner so for you to all of a sudden expect that from other people is quite contradictorive.

Anyway a lot of people on the Staff team have had a lot of real life changes and impacts on their lives however in the next few months once I settle in with my new changes I will strive to get origins into that friendly community environment that it once was and I will be looking for people to help, so please consider if you can spare time to moderate the forum or help out people in the ts or be a content writer, graphics designer or tutorial writer then please do message me (I know that what I just wrote was broken english but its late at night and I am realllllllllly tired).
Also with the production of the new website we will be able to improve our communication skills as I have a few ideas for that aspect.

Kind Regards,

And sleep tight.

-Joe
New website? Please tell us more, can you or anyone actually clarify whats happening with the update currently? But yes new website sounds good

In good time my dear fellow, hopefully we should be providing an update on work this weekend.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

UPDATE on 1.8 status?

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

I appreciate your comments and feedback Joe and take into consideration your tiredness when I sat this...

Please don't tarnish 'everyone in this thread' as sh!t talking you down as you so eloquently put it. Some of us here in this thread are trying to remain upbeat and see the good in what you guys are doing. Yes there will be trolls but that isn't all of us.

Thanks for the update re:This weekend, I look forward to reading more.

Sleep well and I hope you do get enjoyment from the developments you create. I wouldn't want this hobby to be a thing you despise - you should enjoy it 8-)
ishootpaint

UPDATE on 1.8 status?

Post by ishootpaint »

Thomas Sullivan Magnum wrote: Please don't tarnish 'everyone in this thread' as sh!t talking you down as you so eloquently put it. Some of us here in this thread are trying to remain upbeat and see the good in what you guys are doing. Yes there will be trolls but that isn't all of us.
Im sure he read through the posts and understands that. Honestly any online game is only as good as the community that plays it and we should all strive to make this place informitive to seasoned and new players. Alot of people looking into the mod may be turned off to it if everyone is always bashing eachother and the devs.
Zidane9Z

UPDATE on 1.8 status?

Post by Zidane9Z »

JoePowell wrote:

Kind Regards,

And sleep tight.

-Joe
What? What do you mean with "you do not seem to understand or show any appreciation when this happens"? The communication hasn't improved AT ALL lately so there's nothing to give credit for.

We've asked for weekly updates, has been ignored, we've asked for actual development info instead of screenshots, has been ignored. Asking for these things shouldn't be outrageous. The DEV team should communicate with us WEEKLY, and give us proper updates on what's being done currently, what they still have to work on and what they've done but i guess we can't ask for that as we do not pay anything for the mod right?

"a lot of people on the Staff team have had a lot of real life changes and impacts on their lives" If this is the case and it's one of the reasons why the patch is so delayed, please tell us instantly that the development of the patch will be slowed down due to some devs having real life problems when the real life changes happen. Then we understand that ok, there's a reason why the patch is delayed and we understand that due to these circumstances, the patch won't be released when it was originally planned. When we hear it this late, it just sounds like a made up excuse. We've been living in the fog for the past 4 months, thinking that the patch could be released every day, and it's really close to being done, when in reality, it's no where near done.

You told us 3 months ago that you're "tightening up the last bolts", 1 Month ago "last touch and we're off". This is obviously not good info and you've been basically trying to buy more time by lying to us about the state of the patch. Do not lie to us. Saying that you're "tightening up the last bolts" and you can't release it for 3 months isn't acceptable. We will give credit when it's due, you guys have not improved on the communication side at all. We are all in this together for the same cause, to play and enjoy origins, if the dev team doesn't want to communicate with us, origins' future is in danger. That needs to be understood.
JoePowell

UPDATE on 1.8 status?

Post by JoePowell »

Well I'm very sorry that you feel that way things will change I promise you that but Rome was never built in 1 day, improvements take time. I understand that a lot of people are feeling angry that we have not kept in touch with everyone. I will personally try to improve this as previously said however just as a side note asking nicely might improve the situation too many people demand that we give them information. Yes I totally agree we should and we have failed but then by people attacking us with maybe honest but harsh words it kinda dampens out mood.
Zidane9Z

UPDATE on 1.8 status?

Post by Zidane9Z »

JoePowell wrote:Well I'm very sorry that you feel that way things will change I promise you that but Rome was never built in 1 day, improvements take time. I understand that a lot of people are feeling angry that we have not kept in touch with everyone. I will personally try to improve this as previously said however just as a side note asking nicely might improve the situation too many people demand that we give them information. Yes I totally agree we should and we have failed but then by people attacking us with maybe honest but harsh words it kinda dampens out mood.
It's good that at least finally someone realizes that more communication is needed. But yeah, people are getting kinda frustrated and we have the reasons for it. First step would be answering couple of questions. We understand that you can't give us any release dates so no one will ask for that.

1. Can you guys have a weekly dev blog like DayZ standalone? Should take like 15 mins to do at the end of each week.
2. Can you guys tell in the dev blog what you guys have worked on, what you've finished and what is possibly still under work? If you guys don't make any progress during the week, you should tell us that as well. You guys have to be honest with us.
3. Provide a list of what still needs to be done and estimates how long these things approximately take to finish. Days, weeks, months. No one is asking for a release date here, just an approximate of how much work is still there left to be done.
4. Tell us if we should expect a delay for some reason, this reason might be dev having real life problems or devs taking holiday or what ever. Then we do understand that the patch will be delayed for THIS reason and we lower our expectations when it comes to the possible release date. The main problem has been that you guys have been telling us that it's really close to being done for the past 3 months. Keeping people's false hope up isn't going to help anything, it will just get people mad.
5. Have developer Q&A at least once a month, let people ask their questions and give their ideas for the upcoming patches.

If all these things come true, we have a really healthy foundation to keep on building on and origins won't die any time soon and will start growing.
All of these things i listed here shouldn't be too much to ask for. If you think otherwise, please tell me why. Thank you.
XXKRYSTALXX

UPDATE on 1.8 status?

Post by XXKRYSTALXX »

Zidane9Z wrote:
JoePowell wrote:Well I'm very sorry that you feel that way things will change I promise you that but Rome was never built in 1 day, improvements take time. I understand that a lot of people are feeling angry that we have not kept in touch with everyone. I will personally try to improve this as previously said however just as a side note asking nicely might improve the situation too many people demand that we give them information. Yes I totally agree we should and we have failed but then by people attacking us with maybe honest but harsh words it kinda dampens out mood.
It's good that at least finally someone realizes that more communication is needed. But yeah, people are getting kinda frustrated and we have the reasons for it. First step would be answering couple of questions. We understand that you can't give us any release dates so no one will ask for that.

1. Can you guys have a weekly dev blog like DayZ standalone? Should take like 15 mins to do at the end of each week.
2. Can you guys tell in the dev blog what you guys have worked on, what you've finished and what is possibly still under work? If you guys don't make any progress during the week, you should tell us that as well. You guys have to be honest with us.
3. Provide a list of what still needs to be done and estimates how long these things approximately take to finish. Days, weeks, months. No one is asking for a release date here, just an approximate of how much work is still there left to be done.
4. Tell us if we should expect a delay for some reason, this reason might be dev having real life problems or devs taking holiday or what ever. Then we do understand that the patch will be delayed for THIS reason and we lower our expectations when it comes to the possible release date. The main problem has been that you guys have been telling us that it's really close to being done for the past 3 months. Keeping people's false hope up isn't going to help anything, it will just get people mad.
5. Have developer Q&A at least once a month, let people ask their questions and give their ideas for the upcoming patches.

If all these things come true, we have a really healthy foundation to keep on building on and origins won't die any time soon and will start growing.
All of these things i listed here shouldn't be too much to ask for. If you think otherwise, please tell me why. Thank you.
I think you might be asking a little much from the dev's here, thats just my opinion. Maybe and again its just my opinion.... we all just zip it and leave them to get on with things. I know people are frustrated at the wait, I'm one of them very people and being a sever owner I feel it all the more but getting on their case does not do any good. Yes improvements in communication are needed and JoePowell has said he is going to try and work on that. Yes you have not asked for a "DEADLINE" date but you have asked for approximate time scales in development, that's asking the same question just in a different way. I'm really not being a b**ch here, even though it might sound that way.....
JoePowell

UPDATE on 1.8 status?

Post by JoePowell »

Hi Zidane,

What you have said is what I want to work on creating. I would like to shift development to Agile which will mean we are releases small but often patches rather than large and few patches. I would also like to follow in the footsteps of rust with their dev blog which they do every week. However at first we might be looking at every month or every other week. Every week can be quite cumbersome but every other or every month to start with will help us get the ball rolling.

Developer Q&A, how would you best prefer for this to be done? - Do you want it in ts? On the forum? Facebook? Steam? When I say how do you want it done I mean how do you want the main way to be done, the forum, facebook and steam will be updated regardless of what other method is chosen.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Flaw

UPDATE on 1.8 status?

Post by Flaw »

Something like trello would be awesome.

Example: https://trello.com/b/5yzeFpo2/dayz

It would be nice if you could suggest it to them @Joe