Crashed helicopters

General discussion about the Mod.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Crashed helicopters

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

OK so my main pastime now is flying round the lovely skies looking for downed choppers. Some questions if I may as I have searched this forums and there seems some conflicting messages.

1. Is it only the helicopters with smoke/fire that can be looted? I heard the Mi18's (which dont have smoke) can still be looted?
2. Apparently the pilot is the only Zed which drops decent items so is it better to land at a distance and kill the Zeds for better loot? If not, I will obviously land close to the chopper to stop the Zeds from spawning.
3. Where are the locations - is there a map or anything that someone can link as it can take a long while to fly round the whole island?
4. Do these crashed spawns occur on Novistrana and the mitrovice island as I have read people say its only the main island?
5. Ive seen these crashed spawns in fields, on mountains (not sure how you land there!!) and Ive heard people say to scan the beaches... anywhere else?

Finally, when I have looted the items, it still has a 'rifle icon/interact/loot/gear icon' but there isnt anything there to loot - is this a glitch or am I missing something? People have said to loot underneath the chopper?

Thanks again, lets discuss

Magnum *pow pow*
spuduk3

Crashed helicopters

Post by spuduk3 »

the heli crashes appear almost everywhere on the map even the really small islands, there are some areas where there are no helis crashes, the actual spots of the crashes are random each restart
when you have looted the crashes a gear option sometime does appear, must be a glitch, it happens most time i loot a crash
if you spot a crash on the side of a mountain or where you cant land a heli use any land vehicle and park next to heli to stop the zeds spawning
only heli crashes you can loot are the hueys
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Crashed helicopters

That is some steep mountains for a land vehicle to drive up... but I will try it thanks ;)

Yes, that random gear option is rather frustrating, makes me check two or three times just to be sure I am not missing anything.

So its definitely the burning Huey's then, I will only make a beeline for those then - thanks.
ishootpaint

Crashed helicopters

Post by ishootpaint »

Yep, only the burning/smoking ones. Dont forget to lie down and crawl under it a little. There is a loot spawn point under the crash that you cant see unless prone by the choppers guns.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Crashed helicopters

I reckon I must have been missing a lot of loot then as I have never gone prone and looked underneath... Ill search again tonight. Oh, and that Merlin chopper I have I shootpaint... its a bugger to land anywhere near the industrial places - can I have my littlebird back haha
ishootpaint

Crashed helicopters

Post by ishootpaint »

Trade ya for the merlin ;) I was gonna find one anyways to swap for the littlebird.

And the loot under it is not 100% chance. Just another loot point. And for the ones on the mountains just use auto hover and get the nose of the bird almost touching the mountain and your friend can jump out and loot the chopper then jump back in. That way no zombies spawn and you dont have to land and run up/down the mountain.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Crashed helicopters

Both Merlins on that server are gone I believe (Admin has one, and I the other).

Yes, not sure about trading, put a lock on my Merlin now, just need to fly to easier landing areas :)

I like the idea about the mountain looting - shame my friend cant be bothered with crashed heli's - he is more bothered about lvl 3 houses etc
ishootpaint

Crashed helicopters

Post by ishootpaint »

Lol, well ill give it back to you when i get an mi17 tonight.
XXKRYSTALXX

Crashed helicopters

Post by XXKRYSTALXX »

Maybe they will bring in more Merlins with the update, if and when it happens -_-
ishootpaint

Crashed helicopters

Post by ishootpaint »

I think 2 is a good number. The one thing i do want to see is armed choppers that dont spawn with ammo every restart. Im going to be doing a large idea thread as soon as i feel like finishing up writing it, so ill include the details in that.

In short if the chopper had been sitting long enough for all the parts to be in that much disrepair the ammo on it would have been also ruined or salvaged by people at the begining of the infection. And the military doesnt keep ammo sitting around like that, the guns would be loaded before a mission while the ground crew and pilots ran through the final checks.