1.8 first impression

General discussion about the Mod.
m0nst3r

1.8 first impression

Post by m0nst3r »

-played about 5h yesterday, had to kill me about 4 times because i havent found any morphine and i dont want to roll to the next hospital.
after that i explored the new landmass, but didnt know where to go because i havent found a map :)

-there are WAY TO MANY items now, the chance is to small to find anything u really need. e.g. a map, binoculars, morphine, tools, blueprints, whatever.
many items that have the same effect, but only different value of the effect. e.g. the monter energy fills ur thirst completely, but pepsi only like 75%.
same with food... just to many different food types (it would be cool to have like 5 for 20, 40, 60, 80, 100% effect) but NOT like 20 different food :(

-the new medical system is also...i dont know. i gave my mate a bloodbag, after that he got ill and died 20min after, because we didnt found any antibiotics. :/
i think its a bit exaggerated, to use gloves and desinfect for every bloodbag etc.

-Maybe its cool for some players who like hardcore survival with realism, but i want to say that 70% of the player on the full servers are pvp players (like on HG, int005, zombieworld). in pvp u will kill your teammate with illness instead of helping him with a bloodbag :D
i dont know if this improves with better medic skills, havent found the 1.1 book yet. we'll see on weekend.

-also i think the loot system is a bit buggy? it seems to not spawn anything sometimes or respawn at all.

-overall, we cant expect a new game from a patch, but there are some good and some sh!t changes.

ps: the performance fixes are awesome, i never fall below 50fps, not even in sabina :)
Waz

1.8 first impression

Post by Waz »

This is my first post on the forum but I have always been lurking the pages in silence. Anywho. So far I am liking the mod but there are a few things that are bugging me. But I will start off with the things I like:

- The different vehicle parts. It didn't make much sense that a small car wheel could fit on a ural or a bicycle. And which n turn will help with the amount of hording of vehicles people keep because it will be harder for people to fix up.

- The way you have to combine items like wood and morphine to make splints and the whole skill system although I am still trying to get my head around it but I am enjoying the experience.

- Water is more scarce so you have to rely on water bottles more but I have yet to be brave enough to see if fountain water is clean so I boil it any way lol

- The new buildings like the police station and the new barracks are a much needed additions because the only place really to find decent gear prior was martin (That I know of)

- The fact zombies are more of a threat now and you have to be aware of your surroundings a bit more so your friend don't have to take you round the back of the barn to meet ol' Yella'

As for the things I am not so keen on are:

- There are too many tools for amount we can carry. Yes there is a mechanic box but I haven't seen one yet nor have anyone on the server I play on.

- The Adjustable wrench is so hard to come by that on the same server there is only like 3 people who have one as of this post.

- This isn't really ingame related but the wiki is incomplete so when it comes to learning more there are a few gaps that need filling just to help grasp the new stuff and would help any new comers to the game but I suppose there starting fresh so they might grasp it better than older players who are used to the old ways.

All in all I happy so far. It gives the people who are playing the game for the survival extra challenges llke myself but for people who like to play it like GTA online and get guns shoot die full on PVP it might put them off or they might see it as a challenge, I can't really say because that Isn't how I play.
Cursori1

1.8 first impression

Post by Cursori1 »

Update: Not a fan.

Honestly this update WILL push "Casual"er players away from the game. (I play 6+ hours a day, but I say casual as in, doesn't want to farm for 6 of 8 of those hours)

Too many tools to do just about anything, the entire system is just way too complicated now. Medical system is abusive to players, as it makes anything "helpful" actually kill you.

This is an ultra-realism update that I think most of the community won't enjoy due to the powerfarming aspect of it. Simply, it just isn't fun. I've had to kill myself 10+ times now just because I have the zombie virus from being hit through a wall. Maybe if zombies weren't so buggy that would be a great feature, but for right now, they are just not working properly enough for them to have a chance at killing you in one hit.

Not to mention diseases are literally anti-fun. They WILL kill you, and if you aren't established with a car, etc, then you won't be able to cure it. Simply put. So now you're 10k from a spawn with all your gear, and you're going to die in 15 minutes from a disease that a zombie gave you by hitting you through a wall. You give the player no options but to kill themselves or wait until the disease does it for you. Anyone with a game design (Not art.) background would have told you to steer clear of this idea from the start. DayZ made the same mistake.

The entire update seems "cool" on paper, but from a game perspective (Remember, games are supposed to be fun!) this update is mostly just frustrating the player. I will not be playing until the redundant medical/mechanical updates are fixed.
ShowNoMercy

1.8 first impression

Post by ShowNoMercy »

The new medical system just is too much.

Gloves, Antibiotics, Medical Experience and being in the hospital for not even a 100% chance to not get infected when using - seems a little bit to hardcore realism survival for me.
Killing ur mate instead of trying to find a cure for the infection seems far more effective.

Repairing vehicles doesnt really work - you can repair them, but not even to yellow condition.
I tried to put 3 different engines (bad ones first to a green one) onto a car - engine was still red.
Better dont talk about finding 2 tools instead of a toolbox (which was hard enough mostly) to repair a car.

Also, the skills dont improve - tried to put like 20 Scrap Metal on cars - but the green bar doesnt go up.

One good thing is they changed the skill system so it remains after you die.
m0nst3r

1.8 first impression

Post by m0nst3r »

ShowNoMercy wrote:The new medical system just is too much.

Gloves, Antibiotics, Medical Experience and being in the hospital for not even a 100% chance to not get infected when using - seems a little bit to hardcore realism survival for me.
Killing ur mate instead of trying to find a cure for the infection seems far more effective.

One good thing is they changed the skill system so it remains after you die.
yea we killed our teammate 2 times and waited for him to run to his corpse, because we found no antibiotics or morphine...
i know we can craft medic stuff later but for new players really sucks.
hospitals should only spawn medic stuff, not empty tin cans and shit like this.
SGTSADSACK

1.8 first impression

Post by SGTSADSACK »

m0nst3r wrote: -there are WAY TO MANY items now, the chance is to small to find anything u really need. e.g. a map, binoculars, morphine, tools, blueprints, whatever.
many items that have the same effect, but only different value of the effect. e.g. the monter energy fills ur thirst completely, but pepsi only like 75%.
same with food... just to many different food types (it would be cool to have like 5 for 20, 40, 60, 80, 100% effect) but NOT like 20 different food :(

Food & drink should of been done this way since there are so many objects now personally.

Server goes to spawn loot > food/drink are one of them > food/drink have sub tables within with different percentage chance of each food/drink item > server picks one of these based on percentage chance. This way we have 2 items taking up a percentage chance they will spawn, instead of the 30+ food/drink items each with there own percentage.
BEEFWEE

1.8 first impression

Post by BEEFWEE »

This is probably the worst update ever. What am I even playing? From 0.8 to this? Wow. Officially am not playing origins anymore because this is just stupid. Should've just called it Origin 0.1 since its a whole different game. Worst than Gamers platoon. GG Origins Development and GG killing the greatest DayZ mod there was. DCDoomsday signing off forever
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

1.8 first impression

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

Further to my post above - played this for another 4 hrs last night and found no screwdriver set (grinded a large industrial area for 2 of those hours). I ended up going to the trader just to be able to unlock my vehicles back at my base. I dont mind having a good grind to get these but I would have expected a 2hr session paired up with a friend to result in finding one.

Managed to find a wrench, Jack, medical gloves and other random things I dont know what they are used for yet.

So, Im loving the new items - a few hiccups: such as screwdriver to unlock a vehicle lock which is digital?
In real life, I could add a bandage/alcohol and antibiotics to the wound and I'd generally recover so I feel the new medical side is a little over the top (but agreed it needed tweaking as was too easy before).
Finally, more items to grind and hoard but from what Ive seen, inventory slots in houses/vehicles hasnt really increased to allow you to store these new items.

So overall, I really like the ideas, and the challenges set (new missions, revamped sec B etc) but they just need tweaking to allow players to get to grips with the game again - we all like a challenge but some seem a little too aggressive.#

Good work devs!!
XXKRYSTALXX

1.8 first impression

Post by XXKRYSTALXX »

Sadly, I am also not loving this update in the slightest. I have been playing this mod for over 2 years, spent most of that time waiting for this update and its here, I was so excited and then I played......

The performance changes are awesome, cant fault that but my feelings are, a really good mod, that only needed some bug fixes, new places to explore, new buildings to build has been destroyed. Its just virtually un playable now and to be honest far to stressful.

I cant help but feel like the mod has been killed and being a girl and all that lol, tugs at my heart strings just a little.

We spent hours last night trying to get to grips with the update and there is just no satisfaction in the game any more.

Went to sector B, as always our chopper took a couple hits on the way in, didnt concern us all to much. Cleared it and then code this access code from the mayor, mega hype as your thinking all the loot will have changed and its gonna be awesome........ Not a bloody chance, its all the same, just not in urals anymore, obviously the food has changed and they chucked a couple of the new tools in there for good measure, oh and like 2 of the new guns.

So back to our chopper and its broke, cant fix it because you cant just use the old parts now, you need specific parts for a chopper so stuck on sector b with no choice but to abandon chopper and log out.... login back in a miles from base and having to run all the way back to our base.

Yeah I wanted sector b made more interesting but that was just pants....

I remember the good old days when all NPC's shot you through the wall, dam the frustration was high, but they fixed it leading ivans lab to be a dream, now its broken again :evil:

Sorry, this is just mine and my groups impressions but all i have to says is a ugh and ugh again
Grafzahl

1.8 first impression

Post by Grafzahl »

I waited so long for this update, but in its current state, its just not playable for my group and me. Its not that i am just to used on the old systems, or not willing to try new stuff... i realy love harder medic-systems like in the standalone, but origins gone way way way to far.

I totaly understand that you shouldnt just sleep in a tent and be back at 12000 blood, but get hit by a zombie 10 seconds after spawn, become ill and have like a 99% chance to die is just frustrating. Its not like origins has 500.000 players and can experiment with stuff like that, i think this update will finally kill most of the servers in the next few weeks. the new systems are cool for pve communities. best part is that nearly no vehicles are involved in the gameplay anymore, i was on a high populated server and most of the vehicles i found where standing on its spawn location.

Whats the point in repairing or saving a vehicle in a garage? Someone will throw a grenade on it and all the farming for hours will just explode.

We will come back if the repair and med-system has been overthought - will switch to rust and a3 in the meantime