1.8 first impression

General discussion about the Mod.
ishootpaint

1.8 first impression

Post by ishootpaint »

Wow, have things changed. My server was wiped so i started fresh as soon as the server was up. The first thing i noticed was zombies seem to spawn differently now(can somone confirm this). Headed twords yaroslav with a friend, loot seems to be much more sparse. Noticed another player so i ambused him with my trusty smg i just found. It turned out not to be that trusty as i lost the fight and died. Im pretty confident to say that was the very first gunfight of 1.8 as the server had only been up for 10 or 15 minutes with only a few players logged on. So i may have been the first person to die in 1.8 lol.

Started fresh again and went exploring the new area added and found alot of new tools and items. By this time the server was almost full and there were gunshots ringing out from every town. I was hungry, thirsty, poorly armed and wondering if i was sick from using cloth to bandage without disinfectant..... and i kinda liked that desperate feeling i havent felt since the original dayz from years ago.

This update will change the dynamic of how the game is played. May be for the better or for the worse, only time will tell now.

Stay alive and warm my friends.
Cursori

1.8 first impression

Post by Cursori »

I love the new update except for a few things.

Zombie Virus is ridiculous. I've died from it FOUR times, and on each of those lives I have been hit 3 or less times, with only one "bleed" per life. So bleeding from zombies = dead? Seems a bit ridiculous...I would need to study the entire medical skill tree before getting hit by a zombie in order to survive.

Otherwise, A+
ishootpaint

1.8 first impression

Post by ishootpaint »

I got hit and bled a few times but havent got sick yet. I think people are really going to have to band together to thrive in this new taviana. Have one person focus on medical while another to be a mechanic. Im looking forward to hunting expeditions to keep my group well fed and keep our blood up. Honestly i think its a perfect blend of classic origins mixed with the harsh environment of dayz mod.

So far i am very impressed with the scope of this update. Great work devs!
Midnightsfire

1.8 first impression

Post by Midnightsfire »

So after my first impression I can at the moment only ask "And for this sh** did we wait such a long time?"
Sorry I don't know really what I'd expected but this sucks a sh**load of new stuff that wasn't necessary to change or add. And a lot of ways you can being sick and for noobs no chance to know what they have ... wow that will for sure give boost of new players .... works also pretty well in DayZ SA right? <.< What next? Let me guess Weapons and cloths can be damaged?...
At least I expected what was promised a looooong time ago with 1.8 that you can upgrade the clan fortress to full level and have a lot more possibilities there like breed animals there and other surprises. If you had worked on things like this I had totally understand this amount of time.
At the moment I don't know what should give me a motivation to leave my base, every update so far I played at least for hours after release at day one, now I quit the game after may be 30-40minutes cause I was simply bored.
Just two or three nice things the new buildings/changed buildings looks nice the new land looks also nice.
May be my first impression is completely wrong. And I will get a point for new motivation.
But may be I play just to long this game and I should finally quit. I'll think about it the next days.

That were just my two cents to the first impressions
Rusty_Joe

1.8 first impression

Post by Rusty_Joe »

^^^^^Yeah, I really hate to sound whiny and negative because I have a tremendous amount of respect for the mod developers (they already put up with a lot of negativity and sh*t comments from unappreciative players).

Imo, this new patch really kills the solo player and makes Origins less appealing to new players. I'm not so sure I can introduce new players to something like this without them getting frustrated.

For me, if I had to be 100% honest, I just don't have patience for this...I don't want to have to gather wrenches and screwdrivers to fix things. A toolbox should already include those things. A wheel should just be a wheel and likewise, with vehicle parts. Not that I don't appreciate the attempt at realism but making it too realistic slows down the gameplay tremendously. Psychologically, people don't want to make 1000 choices. They want to be decisive by making only a few choices. They already have a lot of concerns/stress from reality. They don't need that in a game. Thus, I think, in 1.9, we need to return to just toolboxes+regular vehicle parts to speed things up again.

Otherwise, Origins is, at its core, about tribal warfare. For the longest time, it's been mostly leveled...meaning a small group of 4-5 can hold their own against a group twice their size. This is why it's such a challenge and adrenaline pumping for everyone, big or small. There's no need for the bigger clans to get richer and solos/smaller clans get poorer. It only makes the competition worse.

Just my thoughts. And that all said, there are some good things about the patch. The redesigned cities/towns and landscapes are amazing. New areas are nice. I really hate zombies now and am very careful to try to avoid them. The devs should be proud of themselves in that aspect.
SGTSADSACK

1.8 first impression

Post by SGTSADSACK »

Rusty_Joe wrote:^^^^^Yeah, I really hate to sound whiny and negative because I have a tremendous amount of respect for the mod developers (they already put up with a lot of negativity and sh*t comments from unappreciative players).

Imo, this new patch really kills the solo player and makes Origins less appealing to new players. I'm not so sure I can introduce new players to something like this without them getting frustrated.

For me, if I had to be 100% honest, I just don't have patience for this...I don't want to have to gather wrenches and screwdrivers to fix things. A toolbox should already include those things. A wheel should just be a wheel and likewise, with vehicle parts. Not that I don't appreciate the attempt at realism but making it too realistic slows down the gameplay tremendously. Psychologically, people don't want to make 1000 choices. They want to be decisive by making only a few choices. They already have a lot of concerns/stress from reality. They don't need that in a game. Thus, I think, in 1.9, we need to return to just toolboxes+regular vehicle parts to speed things up again.

Otherwise, Origins is, at its core, about tribal warfare. For the longest time, it's been mostly leveled...meaning a small group of 4-5 can hold their own against a group twice their size. This is why it's such a challenge and adrenaline pumping for everyone, big or small. There's no need for the bigger clans to get richer and solos/smaller clans get poorer. It only makes the competition worse.

Just my thoughts. And that all said, there are some good things about the patch. The redesigned cities/towns and landscapes are amazing. New areas are nice. I really hate zombies now and am very careful to try to avoid them. The devs should be proud of themselves in that aspect.
I really hope for new zombies in the future, they are the only issue and have always been the issue with dayz arma 2. But after speaking to dev Alex it sounds promising. I'd pay for new zombies :P
ishootpaint

1.8 first impression

Post by ishootpaint »

I have concerns and some negitive things to say but i think im just gonna keep playing and see how things work out. Survival is just the begining has never been more true. Hopfully they will do a big update to the wiki(im sure they are working on it as i type this) so we can get a better idea of what we are working with.
Bammer-D

1.8 first impression

Post by Bammer-D »

I am actually disappointed that Novistrana wasn't finished in this patch. I was really looking forward to a new section of land that the bridges go to.
Eule

1.8 first impression

Post by Eule »

besides i am not able to spawn loot anywhere,

i like some of the new more complex things and some not. needing more/sth else than morphine for broken legs seems unreasonable if every random winchester hit breaks ur legs(hope has changed too then).
repairing vehicles takes too much for me, i know its supposed to be harder and more realistic, but even before: the map is big, many just camp bases or use copters. there werent many driving around like in old days anyways, looking for fights etc. this will be even more rare now and i wont start to repair a car if it takes 2-3 times longer than before just to lose it in a few min again or even before i enter it. was stupid enough before if u were like missing only 1 part and it did not spawn for over an hour :( really hard now for solo player. i mean more realistic is ok, but maybe not that much like different wheels etc.

loot spawn should be explained. no matter what i try, most of the time i cannot spawn loot.

and i still wonder how people can run endlessly around in a moonless light and then oneshot u with makarov over 100m in full darkness, heavily breathing. multiple times. some guys must be uber pros or have really good eyes :roll: or i missed something over all the years. then sprint "cheat" is still there and annoying too.

i like the new atmosphere generally : sounds, weather (still looking forward to see rain or even thunder? ). skills and bloodbags etc. not just giving full health /taking time. police station in eta, making byelov not the only choice for fast paced action.

i was also hoping for adjusted spawns: maybe 1-2 more added, like sevastopol or this big town near bridge on the western island. but there may be reasons for that i cannot see.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

1.8 first impression

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

After my first session on 1.8 yesterday, Im happy with the easily recognised improvements. Landscapes look better, zombies are less buggy and can access buildings where they couldnt before. New buildings, new items - just what the game needed.

I kind of wish my server was reset so that we could start again as Im seeing a few little bugs (but that is due to not resetting the server to fresh) i.e. two different weights of wheels and engines etc (Im guessing pre 1.8 wheel and post 1.8 wheel).

Good work devs