Progress on Skills impossible?

General discussion about the Mod.
Bammer-D

Post by Bammer-D »

Healed several people today, including myself, and got "Experienced Gained" message, but the progress bar does not go up for me. So is this bugged or what? Don't want to waste all this time and all these materials for nothing.
Namiriu

Post by Namiriu »

I repaired lot of vehicle today, scrap and wheel for the book 1.1 of mechanical, but the bar dont progress and i havent a message like " experience gained " or something with mecha ...
tripiz

Post by tripiz »

To complete the 1.X Mechanic i needed ~70 Scrap Metals, ~70 Windscreen Glasses, ~90 Wheels, 120 Engines. I hope it is bugged at the moment, because if you need the same amount of truck parts for Level 2 and Heli parts for Level 3 its a f** Joke. I also got no message "experience gained".
=(eGO)=GoldenPSP

Post by =(eGO)=GoldenPSP »

tripiz wrote:To complete the 1.X Mechanic i needed ~70 Scrap Metals, ~70 Windscreen Glasses, ~90 Wheels, 120 Engines. I hope it is bugged at the moment, because if you need the same amount of truck parts for Level 2 and Heli parts for Level 3 its a f** Joke. I also got no message "experience gained".
As I said in the impressions thread there is a line between "challenging" and "tedious" I understand and appreciate what they were trying to do but the implementation is poor.
Bammer-D

Post by Bammer-D »

Having specific parts, not generic parts, is fine. I like that. However, they need to spawn 100% good with a chance of the player damaging or destroying that part when installing it. The more they install a part, the more skill is gained and the chance of a part being damaged or destroyed is decrease. Having to read the books should be helpful in achieving the skills faster, not a requirement.
Zidane9Z

Post by Zidane9Z »

Bammer-D wrote:Having specific parts, not generic parts, is fine. I like that. However, they need to spawn 100% good with a chance of the player damaging or destroying that part when installing it. The more they install a part, the more skill is gained and the chance of a part being damaged or destroyed is decrease. Having to read the books should be helpful in achieving the skills faster, not a requirement.
I do not mind having to find the books but there needs to be some kind of an indicator whether you managed to gain experience each time you install a part.
'Erb Garden

Post by 'Erb Garden »

You CAN spam the progress bar. Experience gain is not 100%. Required items for basic 1.1 to 1.3 mechanics are roughly 100 attempts.

so 100 Windscreen,
100 tyres,
100 engines,
100 fuel tanks,
100 Scrap metal,

Build something to store parts in, farm! FARM! FARMMM!!! those parts. Then just fit, FIT, FIT!!!! those parts...

I assure you, you'll see progress...
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

I can confirm that adding 20-30 parts at once will move the bar up to roughly 50%. I then added roughly another 20 and am at 75% on the progress bar fro both engines and fuel tanks.

Spamming works, but I it would be hard to say if 'time' made a difference i.e. put 1 engine on, wait a day, add second engine wait a day, add 3rd and see if the progress bar improved to a high level using less parts. My assumption is not though.
'Erb Garden

Post by 'Erb Garden »

I think we can safely say spamming works. 100%.

There is another thread which discusses if there is a delay in your Skill Menu updating, which could be the servers responsibility.

The new 1.8.1 has made skills more user friendly, nerfing the required amount by up to 50%, but likely more like 30%.

As far as i'm aware, you'll still gain Mechanic skill at a far faster rate than that of Medic, purely because of the required activity.

For beginners looking to skill up Mechanics, i strongly suggest this tactic:

1-Head to Sebina

2-Find a Battery and an Entrenching Tool (Battery= Supermarkets and Residental/ Entrenching Tool= Fire Stations)

3-Go to the Bank, Bottom left corner of the central town area. Collect a Safe here. (There is a 50% chance each restart for a single Safe to spawn)

4-Set up a Safe on the north end of Sebina, near the road heading out toward Solibor (You'll see why in a moment). Avoid getting too close to Novy Bor, as the mission "Siege of Novy Bor" can spawn, which will severely hinder you.

->At this point you will need to find Book 1.1 to 1.3 Mechanic. These will spawn in a number of places in Sebina, however prime locations are:
+The Bank
+The Library (Situated next door to the bank)
+Schools
+Town Hall
+The building across the road from the Body Shops North West of Sebina (Described in more detail below)

5-Run circuits around the Bus Station and Two Body Shops on the North Western side of Sebina, A little south of the tall tower in the industrial estate, directly south west of Ivan's Lab.
(Within the Bus Station and Body Shops you'll find everything needed to fix a car/truck. Adjustable Wrench, Screwdriver Kit, Old Hammer, Old Pliers, Tyres, Engines, Fueltanks, Windscreen, Scrap Metal. To find all of the tools may take a couple of hours, but by this time, you should have stored a nice supply of parts)

6-Find and Fuel a simple vehicle, and park by your safe.

7-Repeatedly fit each and every part, paying close attention to your F1 Skills Menu
(TIP: Once you have a Tool, LOCK IT AWAY IN YOUR SAFE IF YOU'RE NOT USING IT!)

Viola!