What happend with gamers these days?

General discussion about the Mod.
GeneralMelchett

Post by GeneralMelchett »

I'm so suprised to see a lot of you guys 'giving up' once they can't find a wrench in 5 minutes. What the f*ck is going on with the kids these days?

I remember as a kid i played the 'Indiana Jones' adventure game on MSDOS in a foreign language i could barely read. Sometimes it took me weeks to find out how to continue the story in the game. Games these days are so fucking easy; all of them have built in 'tutorials' because manufacturers know how quickly kids give these days so they make games retard-proof.

I've spoken with a lot of people and i'm suprised to people's additude, judging negative after playing just a few hours. I noticed the biggest 'winers' are DayZ veterans/pro's, that hate the fact they now have to relearn the game which makes them vunerable to other players/new players. Pro campers that camp housedoors for 24/7 now actually have to move and loot if they want to upgrade their skills, what makes them cry because they know that's when they get killed. Pro SecB runners now have bigtime trouble to get on the shore of Sector and now say the game is too hard, just because they can't get their hands on the urals within a couple of hours.

1.8 is simply amazing, and yes people, you have to put some effort in the game again. Relearn where everything spawns and you will see getting loot is more simple then ever before as specific loot now spawns on specific spots. 25 reinf material in 2 hours, no problem if you look in the right places.

New to the game? Ask people for help. Don't try everything alone, try to make friends and team up instead of insta-KOSsing players and show some balls.

GeneralMelchett,
TavianaTactical, 192.99.18.174:7155
QuickTrueno

Post by QuickTrueno »

I would like to know to. I remember playing metal gear solid 1 in Eng when I only spoke Spanish. It took me weeks to figure out how to continue the story in the part where you have to freeze a key or something like that.

Personally, my favorite part of 1.8 is the fear of zombies coming back. Want to survive? better avoid that zombie because if you get sick, you are dead.
=(eGO)=GoldenPSP

Post by =(eGO)=GoldenPSP »

Hyperbole much?

I've said now in multiple threads that I like what they were trying to achieve, but there is a fine line between "challenging" and "tedious".

I do like how they have redone some of the spawn tables. barns are now useful again etc.

And granted Origins has always been a farm fest. If you don't like to farm this isn't the mod for you. But increasingly the devs idea of "challenge" is just adding to the loot tables. That isn't challenging, its just tedious.

Also yes, if you have played origins before you have to throw out the idea that you will be flying a perfectly fixed up heli within a few hours. I'm fine with that. I have mostly enjoyed the new "journey" of the mod. I'm disappointed that the only thing they could do to try and add to the challenge was 'farm more".

Yes I am running with a group. we are trying to be as efficient as possible. I am a mechanic focusing currently on becoming an expert on tires. Another is focusing on engines, and so forth. But it dips over into the tedious rather than challenging.

Keep in mind I'm not talking about not finding things because the spawn points changed. It's fun re-learning where to find stuff. Its where I need to farm books, that are hidden behind several levels of RNG. I need hundreds of car parts just to level those skills up, etc, which is just "farm more". not very inventive.
QuickTrueno

Post by QuickTrueno »

=(eGO)=GoldenPSP wrote:Hyperbole much?

I've said now in multiple threads that I like what they were trying to achieve, but there is a fine line between "challenging" and "tedious".

I do like how they have redone some of the spawn tables. barns are now useful again etc.

And granted Origins has always been a farm fest. If you don't like to farm this isn't the mod for you. But increasingly the devs idea of "challenge" is just adding to the loot tables. That isn't challenging, its just tedious.

Also yes, if you have played origins before you have to throw out the idea that you will be flying a perfectly fixed up heli within a few hours. I'm fine with that. I have mostly enjoyed the new "journey" of the mod. I'm disappointed that the only thing they could do to try and add to the challenge was 'farm more".

Yes I am running with a group. we are trying to be as efficient as possible. I am a mechanic focusing currently on becoming an expert on tires. Another is focusing on engines, and so forth. But it dips over into the tedious rather than challenging.

Keep in mind I'm not talking about not finding things because the spawn points changed. It's fun re-learning where to find stuff. Its where I need to farm books, that are hidden behind several levels of RNG. I need hundreds of car parts just to level those skills up, etc, which is just "farm more". not very inventive.
I dont see the post above or I claim 1.8 is perfect. We were talking about people giving up easily while it wasn't like this in our past experience. The first day was ridiculous. People getting angry left and right with the devs for dying by diseases. Now, some of those players are enjoying the update others quit in a few hours of playing. You said the only challenge is to farm more. What about not getting infected? IMO that is the most important part of the new gameplay. Do you not PVP in cities? Do you not PVP in mountains?

Before the update, I logged into servers to just pvp and I was able to survive without worrying about anything other than players. Zombies were a joke. I had no fear. it was like they didn't exist. The post zombie apocalypse mod was broken.

Now, I have to travel from city to city getting loot. Exploring, surviving, and escaping.
You might be rushing to the end game stage. Enjoy leveling up slowly. Don't try to level up in one day. Just stay alive. You don't need antibiotics if you are not infected.
With that said, there are things that could be improve.

Also, I'm pretty sure you are not meant to boost level or quickly level up your skills.
=(eGO)=GoldenPSP

Post by =(eGO)=GoldenPSP »

QuickTrueno wrote:
=(eGO)=GoldenPSP wrote:Hyperbole much?

I dont see the post above or I claim 1.8 is perfect. We were talking about people giving up easily while it wasn't like this in our past experience. The first day was ridiculous. People getting angry left and right with the devs for dying by diseases. Now, some of those players are enjoying the update others quit in a few hours of playing. You said the only challenge is to farm more. What about not getting infected? IMO that is the most important part of the new gameplay. Do you not PVP in cities? Do you not PVP in mountains?

Before the update, I logged into servers to just pvp and I was able to survive without worrying about anything other than players. Zombies were a joke. I had no fear. it was like they didn't exist. The post zombie apocalypse mod was broken.

Now, I have to travel from city to city getting loot. Exploring, surviving, and escaping.
You might be rushing to the end game stage. Enjoy leveling up slowly. Don't try to level up in one day. Just stay alive. You don't need antibiotics if you are not infected.
With that said, there are things that could be improve.

Also, I'm pretty sure you are not meant to boost level or quickly level up your skills.
Ok, you obviously did not read my post properly, or you would have first off realized I am not trying to quickly level up my skills (accentuated by my stating i have mostly enjoyed the "journey", or that Im fine with not being able to get to a perfect heli in hours).

The problem I have is that the only things the devs did is bloat the loot tables so I have to farm more to achieve the goals. That is just more grind, not more fun. I would have liked to see some more inventive ways to add skills to the game than just "find moar stuff"

Not getting infected? No I haven't found that to be any more of a challenge than before. It isn't any harder to avoid the zombies than before. I've only gotten infected twice. It takes so long to die from it, you have plenty of time to find a safe spot to die, respawn, collect gear. By the second infection I had zombie antibiotics from Ivan's lab and it cured it.
Deadbeat

Post by Deadbeat »

To be honest I would not have made the zombies the way they are as a lot of the time they hit you through walls ect.
Until zombies actually act like zombies an not raving mad crazy buggy entities, I would have stayed clear of infections.

But the above being said I have been pretty lucky an not yet been infected just luck of the draw I guess an If I was infected I would just find somewhere to die an run back no real problem there.
Again though "I would just find somewhere to die an run back no real problem there" basically negates the issue an makes it another tedious an pointless feature.
QuickTrueno

Post by QuickTrueno »

I do agree there are a lot of items that could have been simplify, like keeping the toolbox instead of needing 3 different tools to get it going.

We are clearly having different experiences with the update. I have more trouble with infection than finding what i need (except for antibiotics). It seems everything gets me sick, not just zombies, and antibiotics are a pain to get.

As an admin, I have watch people get cars moving in the same amount of time farming just like before. Houses getting built with no problem. People couldn't fix stuff the first few day because they didn't know what they needed. However, players are starting to adapt to the new repair mechanics and It doesn't look more difficult than before - but that is just my experience.
Rusty_Joe

Post by Rusty_Joe »

It has nothing to do with ''gamers nowadays'' as most of us are the same age and have been playing games nearly as long or just as long as everyone else. As GoldenPSP pointed out, this is just tedious (one task after another just to play a game...as opposed to being able to jump on for a good time with friends/clanmates). I really appreciate the devs intentions. But at the end of the day, people want to journey and then, fight/test their skills against others, not play a grindfest.

In other words, DayZ Origins is an open world shooter with survival elements, not an MMORPG. Trying to dictate the game mechanics around RPG elements like ''mass item gathering'' and ''developing skills'' (as opposed to just having them be nice, cool extra features) is only going to hinder the way the game is played.

I'm not saying the idea is bad. It's just that you can't apply it to Origins...which has already been structured one way (again, as a shooter with suvival elements). Thus, you can't just add new (RPG dominant) features that convolute the game. 1.8 has to be its own DayZ mod or game.

Otherwise, this is a crisis that needs to be addressed soon....or else, players will leave.

I personally suggest an option to return to Vanilla Origins/Origins Classic (but with the vehicle/building additions of 1.8).
Eule

Post by Eule »

can fully agree on Rusty_Joe. I dont get younger and neither do my friends, meaning having alyways less time. The way origins was played by the majority of its active community before is exactly how he described it.

I personally know what u mean GeneralMelchett, but this situtation with the game right now clearly does not belong in this category.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

As a new player (joined 3 months ago) I am a little concerned with the lack of appreciation from the longer serving players. Coming from the days of real community modding (Unreal Tournament and the likes), it takes time for the updates to fully bed in and everyone should give the game at least 3-4 weeks so that the feedback from the community can be added and the update tweaked.

Yes, its frustrating that my chopper is unusable and its harder to repair but I did think it was a bit stupid that one of the biggest and most helpful components in a game I could build within an hour of playing the game from scratch.

The new updates are a great idea but my reservation is in how they have been applied. Skills are great but I have struggled to work out how to progress these (and again, I don't want to complete the skillset within 1-2hrs, thats why they call it progression). I dont necessarily want a wiki to tell me how to do it either, but a little further guidance would have been useful when so many of the medic skills are pretty much needed just to go on a loot run.

I have a family and work hard so I don't have the same time to grind as I used to in my 'other life' but I do appreciate that it shouldn't be easy to get everything I want straight away. I know I need building mats so I should spend at least a few hrs to get the mats from an industrial area to be able to get a house or build a reinforced gate section. I know that I should have to grind an area for at least a few hours to get me the car or vehicle I want.

In reality, I like the ideas of the updates, but want to give the devs time to polish/tweak it to make it more playable, I think what they have done is really good and credit should awarded for their efforts.

Its not perfect but rarely is an update on this scale perfect. Anyway, I do hope a lot of players stay for a while even if its only 4 weeks to give them the opportunity to polish it off. If after that players still dont enjoy it, then they can do what they wish but coming on the forums to complain and say they are quitting is just juvenile and shows a lack of respect.

In other words, stop acting like spoilt brats and grow up. *This post is not aimed as the people posting in this topic* it is aimed at those posts/comments I have seen on the forums or heard through other channels.