A tale about the scrap ferry...

General discussion about the Mod.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

Here is my question... How can you get a truck back from Vlad to the main island?

And here is a tale about my attempts last night:

I had been thinking to myself, I'm bored of using my Merlin to go everywhere, and feeling the pressure landing it with an engine on 4% with AI always being in the vicinity; why not get a cool looking truck I thought to myself?!

I have a friend a with a wikkid looking mercenary truck (aka colonel truck). Where did you get that I asked? He told me he knew where another one was but it would be difficult getting back as I would need to drive through the military island (he called it PKKK or something like that).

I then had a 'lightbulb' moment. Its OK I said, Ill just put it on a scrap ferry.

So, I get his better half to fly us over in their only working chopper, land safely, repair the truck before server restart. All ready for my next trip - finding my ferry and crossing to my homeland.

Logged back in to find myself under chopper fire - damned mission had spawned instantly where I was (luckily I was behind a fruit bin). My friend log in and we manage to get to a bunker for safety. My friend has a pc moment, crashes... logs back in with a broken leg and bleeding. Chopper seems to have gone now so result! Or so we thought.

I get in my new wikkid looking truck and start to drive away. Then I hear - 'the chopper isnt working'. OK, so I am feeling bad now. Ive lost them their only working chopper all because I wanted a cool looking truck (which to add insult to their already injury, they wouldnt be the only one with that cool looking truck).

We decide to take the truck back and I will fly them back in my Merlin to get their chopper - easy!

AI chopper comes again but we evade it with some dardevil driving!!

We found the ferry at first attempt on the shore where I had made a guess there should be one - happy dayz! I make a splint for my friend - things are looking up.

The truck fits - Wooot! Fill the ferry up with some fuel and the three of us jump aboard.

It takes a few minutes to get her off the beach but finally we are emabarking on what has so far been a mission and a half just to get a truck - but we have it!

'We're sinking!!!' is what my driver tells me, and he is certainly on the money with that one. So we decide to work our way back to the beach... try to reposition the truck... off we go again.

At the bottom of the sea swimming with the fishes... we eject and swim back to the beach.

So now we are on the wrong island, no food, no water, no ammo left, no vehicle and nowhere near home.

My friend, the 'driver' as will be known, decides to dive back in... he lowers the ramp of the ferry and then attempts to free the ferry. Whoooosh! He flies past me at a rate of knots shooting out of the water and landing in the trees. By this point of three of can no longer contain our laughter - we ring out in hilarious tones and end up saying... thats Dayz for you!

We did manage to get the ferry back in the water and return to the main island, got a few too many Zeds on our trail trying to return to a base - and yes, I managed to accidentally 1 shot my friend when trying to lessen the swarm of Zeds - Ooops!

So that is how my evening rolled out... just because I wanted a truck from another island.

So can anyone help me in how to get a truck back from an island?
andex

Post by andex »

:lol:

yeah the ferry is a bitch

you can use the flying fortress, but thats kinda hard to repair o.O
and the ff is a little buggy aswell

on full servers you can just drive through the bot island (krk) with no problems,
on your server however i guess you need to clear the bots first.

ive never tried that, so i cant tell if that is an easy task.
i guess not, because you have to get very close.

luckily theres a russian video for everything:

Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Why on full servers can you just drive straight through?

I wont be building the FF, just takes too long to get all the parts.

Thanks for the video, I may look at doing that but it seems another long winded way.
andex

Post by andex »

i guess there is no easy way to get the vehicles from novistrana...

more players -> more server lag and desync

and that delays everything including the bots. it takes a few seconds for them to aim and shoot, so they wont hit a moving target.

in general (even without desync) bots have a hard time hitting a moving target, because they cant calculate bullet travel time.
they just aim for the head and shoot, so if you are a few 100 meters away and keep running/driving they wont hit you.

but at krk-island you have to drive right past them and follow the road. and all that in a fragile 1.8 vehicle without desync.
for me that smells like a burning truck and a dead thomas :D
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Yes, I guess I could hope the the hotfix with the 4x vehicle durability may help?
Im at 3.1 mechanics currently so can only get vehicles up to about 40% - cant see that helping just yet.
Ill just keep on grinding my way up until i can get in the 90's and then go for a smash and grab run :P
spuduk3

Post by spuduk3 »

silly question, did you secure the load on the scrap ferry, first time i used it i didnt realise there was an option to secure the vehicle once it was on the ferry
osi1

Post by osi1 »

just drive through the beach at krk-island

after you leave the bridge, turn immedaitely to the right or left
follow the shore /coast line until you arrive at the second bridge
then follw the road
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

@spud uk - Secure it by raising the ramp. Yes.

Krk - I might try that... anyone know how many guards there are there?
spuduk3

Post by spuduk3 »

/you dont secure by raising the ramp, thats the mistake i made. you have to make sure it driven as far as possible onto ferry without knocking the back of the cab part, once in drivers seat scroll and there should be an option to secure load, do that and it will be safe to drive away in ferry
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

I've been told by many people that you can't take trucks on the ferry but I'll give it another try. Thanks
When you didn't do a Secure load did your ferry sink?