SNAPPING FUNCTION for DIRT FENCES

General discussion about the Mod.
osi1

Post by osi1 »

Hello,

i think it is a pain in the arse to build multiple dirt fences straight in a row or at least with no gaps, especially if you have to do it alone.

And often the surface you're building on is not exactly flat, so if you switch to the operator seat or during the building animation, the excavator starts slipping sideways

As if that were not enough, the camera positioning is very buggy.

I have read in a previous dev post, they didn't implement it to prevent all bases from looking the same, but i think that is a weak argument.

The bases have different amounts of houses, are build on different surfaces, some prefer rectangular shapes, some spherical shapes and so on. in my view, a nice amount of variety would be given even with snapping.

So maybe we could start at least a poll to clearify the community's approval to my request.

Or you change the placing system of the fences in that way, that you can place this green placeholder(or something else) by foot and then build it by using the excavator.

Or give the excavator the ability to drive crapwise, so it would be easier to adjust the fences.

There are a lot of options to enhance the way of placing/building fences. And it would increase the realism, because if you are able to drive an excavator and build massive fences, you should also be able to span a leash to make sure your fences are in a row.

regards
Miggs

Post by Miggs »

Amen brother! I had a similar post asking for best practices on building fences straight. I got some good feedback but the I felt the consensus was that there is no real way to get them straight. My clan and I have developed a method that we are using that seems to help, however it is far from perfect. I vote yes for snapping!!!
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

I guess there is also the argument (inline with the new skills update) that your proficiency of using an excavator and building walls using scrap materials will never be perfect so how would you build a perfect wall in a post-apocalyptic scenario without either being an engineer or builder?

I agree, it is hard to build a straight wall, but as I said to Miggs, try getting the excavator side on to where you want to build, get a friend in the passenger seat, and as you drive straight upwards, he can build the wall. As I said, its not perfect but it gave me pretty straight walls. Practice makes perfect and when you upgrade the walls, they also close the gaps a lot better - best go and get those screws :P
osi1

Post by osi1 »

screws.... they are so rare

i understand your argument, but if you can manage to build a 3 floor -high tower at a e-pylon, than you should also be able to build a nice wall.

and even if you place this green dummy/ghost/placeholder perfectly, sometimes after the excavator animation the fence is built at a different position
MrMadness

Post by MrMadness »

i soo want this in the next patch along with the clothes , really would help out alot XD
OriginsMod Official

Post by OriginsMod Official »

The snapping feature for houses and fences will be implemented in future patches. ;)
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

OriginsMod Official wrote:The snapping feature for houses and fences will be implemented in future patches. ;)
And who might you be?

Replacement for Joe Powell? A new active admin?
JoePowell

Post by JoePowell »

Nice idea. I'm still here Thomas, that account is being used as a voice from the staff team rather than using different accounts.