Arma 3 origins :/

General discussion about the Mod.
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

Your entitled to your opinion just like like i am to mine. And you did make condescending twords people who still play arma 2 and as a mod i find that unacceptable. Most the money you paid for your server went to the hosting company but i understand your point as also having had an origins server in the past. Sorry if i speak bluntly, sometimes i come off as a dick. I haven't silenced anything you have said and even approved all your posts. Me and a few others pointed out that a port to arma 3 wont happen soon if at all and you told us we were living in the past and couldn't accept the blessings of arma 3 and we should stay in our corner as the rest of the world moves on. That's not a good way to respond to people pointing out an obvious fact that we honestly probably don't like as much as you. No hurt feelings but if you talk to people in a certain way they have more than a right to respond in the same manner.
=(eGO)=GoldenPSP

Post by =(eGO)=GoldenPSP »

[DPN] Mr. Tumnus #Boredshitless wrote:I know, I know I'm sure the devs are said they don't want to do arma 3 but just not enough people play arma 2 any more (no arma 2 origins Australia server) its kinda disappointing origins was in my book the best mod for dayz out there so much new stuff and much prefer the base building in origins. Now that arma 3 is stable better fps and performance than arma 2 in my opinion plus better graphics is a nice touch I see no reason not to give arma 3 origins ago people are so nostalgic about it the entire reason people are playing desolation is cause of you guys but desolation is going no where (shit dev) so please reconsider making origins for arma 3 I know you put a lot of effort into your mod for arma 2 and don't want the problems that come with porting it over, I know for a fact that the map works fine desolation as stolen your origins map and it works fine on arma 3 so what about the slight size increase you don't really notice it.
The problem isn't arma 2. There are still plenty of arma2 players. It's just this mod.

Now I can respect the mod devs decision, but the biggest thing that would keep this mod away from death would be to finally release the server files. This single fact hampers this mod in multiple ways.

For one, you have no choices for hosting. There is Lagfree servers or nothing. And with that hosting an origins server is 40-60% more expensive per slot than any other arma 2 hosting service. I love the origins mod, but its not so much better to justify that premium.

While the origins devs may not have the time/interest/expertise to port this to arma3, other people might be able to help, if only they had access to the files to play around with.
osi1

Post by osi1 »

Good point

But on the other hand, the fact that the server files are not puplic is the main reason why this mod can create its special, pure survival feeling, one of its key features.

If you release the server files it will end up like epoch/etc:
massive team deathmatch, custom spawn settings, pay for better start/loadout, admin abuse and so on...
And with servers with different rulesets the comunity would be even more fragmented.

Or the other mods would simply copy/paste origins unique models/features like the arma3-desolation Crew did. Neither is this intended by the origins devs (that's why the creator of the Taviana map stop the usage of it by desolation), nor it would be fair after all the work they have put in it.

Sure, it is a tough decision because you have to find a compromise between lowering the lease costs and protect origins integrity

Maybe they could find a second hosting company to force some price competition.

But, like everything else, without some interaction from the devs, at least at this forum, it will be very hard for us to help or to do some exchange of views/ideas/opinions.
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

osi1 wrote:Good point

But on the other hand, the fact that the server files are not puplic is the main reason why this mod can create its special, pure survival feeling, one of its key features.

If you release the server files it will end up like epoch/etc:
massive team deathmatch, custom spawn settings, pay for better start/loadout, admin abuse and so on...
And with servers with different rulesets the comunity would be even more fragmented.

Or the other mods would simply copy/paste origins unique models/features like the arma3-desolation Crew did. Neither is this intended by the origins devs (that's why the creator of the Taviana map stop the usage of it by desolation), nor it would be fair after all the work they have put in it.

Sure, it is a tough decision because you have to find a compromise between lowering the lease costs and protect origins integrity

Maybe they could find a second hosting company to force some price competition.

But, like everything else, without some interaction from the devs, at least at this forum, it will be very hard for us to help or to do some exchange of views/ideas/opinions.
Well said good sir. Custom loadouts alone kill me(not the feature itself but the kind of stuff people start you off with) little less people having the ability to epochify everything else. At this point its really just the decision of the devs.

Hosting is the main area they should think about changing as you hit the nail on the head as competition in business is good for the consumer. This would also help the OP with getting servers in his hemisphere of the world where they have 0 servers via lagfreeservers.
=(eGO)=GoldenPSP

well that is why I said I can respect the devs decision to not release the server files. The current situation however isn't conducive to furthering Origins' popularity given it's high cost premium vs other arma2 mods.

While I agree you will have people pull the mod apart and "epochify" it, there would still be those who would run pure origins servers, and people who would enjoy playing them. It comes down to the lesser of two evils, because in its current state Origins is likely to die a slow death before the devs "finish" it.
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

As long as its easy to filter out the non-vanilla origins servers i dont care what other people play. Just basing it off of how hard it is to find a decent vanilla dayz mod server. Im not gonna lie tho, if i had access to server files id make a few tweaks. Mostly to make it more hardcore and add in more crafting tho. I guess we just have to wait and see what the future holds for us. Id love for us all to have our cake and eat it too but things seldom work out that way.
Miggs

Post by Miggs »

I would love more crafting as well ISP. I have always found the cake reference ironic though as the sole purpose of baking a cake is to eat it! Perhaps the devs will see it the same way and let us "eat".
osi1

Post by osi1 »

So, i did some inquisitions about LagFreeServers.com since we can't expect some information from the devs.

First, i can't find any legal notice on their website. No ident for register of commerce, no address, no country, no location, nothing, which is very strange, because i think they are legally bound to give this information as a website hosting company, at least because they have servers in the EU(Paris) and Moscow/Montreal.
After i looked up who registrates this domain, i got something, but not that much:
Registrant Name: Identity Protection Service
Registrant Organization: Identity Protect Limited

All in all very shady.

But now, let's have a look at the interesting things:

They are hosting eight games(with Origins), but at the moment you can only rent Origins Servers. All others are "Out of Stock". :?:

Origins Servers are the most expensive ones with min. 27€ while the average price of the others is 13,15€ :!:

There are 297 Servers in total of other games and 214 of Origins, so 58% others / 42% Origins.
But if you set it in realation with the price, all others generate revenues of 4.295,24€ and Origins alone 5.778,00€, which means Origins generates 57,3% of their sales !!!!
(And i took the lowest settings, most of the Origins Servers have more than 30 slots and are much more expensive than the 27€)

As you can see, Origins is their cash cow, it is accountable for more than a half of their sales.

With this market power, how is ist possible that our servers are still the most expensive ones? There is no technically reason for it, the machines are making no difference between those games.
There is no reason why the devs don't say: "Hey, either we pay less or we move to another company and you loose half of your business" :evil:

That are the facts.

But in MY OPINION, all this very strangely behavior leads to one conclusion: (and this isn't a new idea, it was always an issue)

They have a deal with LagFreeServers, and like every other deal, they don't just giving a favour for free, they get a return service. And you don't have to think twice of which type this service is.
Or maybe they even own LFS.

So why is this a problem?
The mod is under the Arma Public Licence (APL)
And this license says at §1.j:
"NonCommercial means not primarily intended for or directed towards commercial advantage or monetary compensation. For purposes of this Public License, the exchange of the Licensed Material for other material subject to Copyright and Similar Rights by digital file-sharing or similar means is NonCommercial provided there is no payment of monetary compensation in connection with the exchange."

I would really appreciate if one of the devs could clarify this situation by answering these questions:

Why are Oringins Servers hosted at one company only?
Why is it more expensive to host Origins Servers than other games like Arma2/3 vanilla?
Are (some of) you owners / share holders of LFS?
Do you get a return service for giving LFS exclusively the right to host Origins?
If so, is this service a monetary compensation?

(I hope i don't have to be afraid of being banned from the forum :? still thankful for the dev's great outstanding work and the effort/passion they have put in it )

Added in 11 minutes 56 seconds:
my data from lagfreeservers.com:

Game Servers Due sales
DayZ 127 18,00 € 2.286,00 €
ArmA3 54 14,56 € 786,24 €
G Mod 6 14,00 € 84,00 €
CS:GO 73 9,00 € 657,00 €
ArmA2 14 18,00 € 252,00 €
Minecraft 23 10,00 € 230,00 €
Red O 0 8,50 € 0,00 €

Sum 297 4.295,24 €

Origins 214 27,00 € 5.778,00 €

Part others 58,12% 42,64%
Part Origins 41,88% 57,36%
Last edited by osi1 on 02 Apr 2016 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
=(eGO)=GoldenPSP

Out of curiousity, If you are skeptical of everything else, why would you believe the server numbers? For all you know, there are actually only origins servers and the other numbers are bogus.

So there is a second option. The origins modders are the owners and run lagfreeservers themselves.
osi1

Post by osi1 »

=(eGO)=GoldenPSP wrote:Out of curiousity, If you are skeptical of everything else, why would you believe the server numbers? For all you know, there are actually only origins servers and the other numbers are bogus.

So there is a second option. The origins modders are the owners and run lagfreeservers themselves.
Good point.
It would be interesting to know how long LFS exists.