Arma 3 origins :/

General discussion about the Mod.
Mace

Post by Mace »

All other servers are ghost servers (my opinion). you have never been able to rent other servers but Origins mod servers. Before origins was hosted by https://www.gtxgaming.co.uk.
Lag free servers has been host since march 2014, but LFS is older than that (2012 I think).
Natu

Post by Natu »

The Problem is very simple.
Its not allowed to port any Dayz content to Arma 3, because this would outplay the Dayz Standalone.
So the Origins devs has to rewrite/recreate all the Contenct what is from dayz and this will take a long long Time.

mfg
Natu
Natu

Post by Natu »

You can still play on populated server.
Arma 3 is outplaying Arma 2 but Arma 3 has nothing like Dayz Origins.
Maybe the 2017 mod will bring somethink like this in Arma 3 ^^ #hope
osi1

Post by osi1 »

Natu wrote:The Problem is very simple.
Its not allowed to port any Dayz content to Arma 3, because this would outplay the Dayz Standalone.
So the Origins devs has to rewrite/recreate all the Contenct what is from dayz and this will take a long long Time.

mfg
Natu

hoping for 2017 mod too, but they are not the fastest...

i never really played dayz, so how many content does origins still share with it?

the map is from origins like the base buildings,
the normal vehicles are arma2, the special ones are origins,
the skins of players/zombies are arma/origins,
i think the server backbone too, the AI (npcs) and the weapons are from arma,
all the gui, overlay, context menus are from origins,
like the skill system, repair system

so what have to be rewrited/recreated from dayz? maybe the zombie-AI or the inventar system ? or some scripts for spawning?
i really don't know, asking honestly, not to troll/complain

Added in 10 minutes 32 seconds:
Mace wrote:All other servers are ghost servers (my opinion). you have never been able to rent other servers but Origins mod servers. Before origins was hosted by https://www.gtxgaming.co.uk.
Lag free servers has been host since march 2014, but LFS is older than that (2012 I think).

ok, all that points strengthen my assumptions:

they founded/bought that company to capitalize on Origins Mod by hosting it exclusivly and exploit the APL this way

(maybe it's a legal limbo, i'm not a lawyer to decide if it's a APL violation or not)
andex

Post by andex »

oh hey, that subject again :D
Mace wrote: you have never been able to rent other servers but Origins mod servers.
thats correct, lfs is only for origins mod.

when they switched the hosting to lfs someone did some research and found out that lfs is owned by alex.
that was never confirmed, so i dont know if that is true.
and i cant find the posts on the old forums right now.
i dont care and i dont judge.
if they generate some shady money to keep the mod running im fine with that.

arma 3 origins:

wont happen
legal issues, porting issues
the devs stated several times that it is way too complex to recreate the origins content in arma3.
maybe with a lot of manpower, money and time. but the mod is way too small to show potential and attract the right investors.
solution --> let other people do the work. give them access to the map, the models and all the awesome origins content.
but martin wont let that happen and i can somehow understand that.
its all his idea and work. 2 years of development even before origins just to create taviana.

back in the days they had the idea to create a standalone version of origins as ripthroughs first "real" game.
well ok, that was nearly 3 years ago and didnt happen.
but now the map is nearly finished, they added most of the content they dreamed of and martin banned taviana from arma3.
maybe there ARE plans for the future of taviana and originsmod.

but even if not.
the game is really great the way it is.
ofc its sad to see that there are millions of people playing dayz-like games and only like 0,01% even know that origins exist.
but the game itself doesnt need arma 3 or a standalone version.

yea, of course, as an arma2mod the playerbase will not grow and every month some people will leave,
but hey, we just had two new groups joining our server who never played origins before.
and they are absolutely hooked ^^
first they just joined randomly for an hour here and there,
but now they started fixing cars, building bases and playing for hours every day. :mrgreen:
Rusty_Joe

Post by Rusty_Joe »

Honestly, it would be wise to wait until Arma 4. What made Arma 2 popular was the DayZ mod. That's how Origins received mass exposure and from what I remember, it spawned all the other copycat mods like Epoch.

At this point, if you rewrite and recreate everything (you cannot import/transfer DayZ mod), it will be a waste of effort because Origins would receive little exposure. There would be NO payoff. People will play DayZ Standalone instead or wait until Arma 4. Better to practice and try out new things and then, when Arma 4 comes along, you can jump ship and take advantage of all the new players.

Origins was the most popular mod at one time so it will have no trouble attracting players (if they do it right). The new release just needs to be timed right to become successful again. By the time Arma 4 comes out, I don't think DayZ Standalone will be popular anymore and Origins can take advantage of this opportunity to give people who crave for that "good old fashioned DayZ experience".
osi1

Post by osi1 »

andex wrote:oh hey, that subject again :D
Mace wrote: you have never been able to rent other servers but Origins mod servers.
thats correct, lfs is only for origins mod.

Do you have any evidence?

Even the fact that they are faking the existence of Non-origins Servers is destinctive.
Why should they do so if it is legal?
They are disguising a APL violation.

And on the other side they are asking for donations as their only monetary support.

I'm willing to pay for this mod, i like it, it is one of my favorite games, and i'm a donator, but i don't want to be lied to.
If this allegations are correct, it is fraud.
And that is nothing you can whitewash with 'they're doing a great job, let them make some shady money to compensate their effort'.
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

osi1 wrote:If this allegations are correct, it is fraud.
I have no interest getting into the middle of all this even tho i do love a good conspiracy theory lol. But in all technicalities its not fraud as the product you buy from lfs is what it is advertised as. If they say you must pay extra to have it hosted from a ssd and they take your money and host it from a regular hd, that would be fraud.
andex

Post by andex »

osi1 wrote: Do you have any evidence?
no, i dont not have any evidence and maybe that statement was a little bit too absolute.

generally i should be careful what i say about such a delicate topic
because there are no hard facts, no first hand information, just conclusions and what other people present as facts and that can be totally wrong.
second point is, due to 10 years of not speaking english at all my ability to communicate in this language is terrible and its sometimes really hard to find the right words to express my point - so things might come out wrong or simplified.

lets try it this way:

when they switched to LFS we checked the site - everything but origins was "out of stock"
when we started our own server we checked the site - everything but origins was "out of stock"
now - everything but origins is "out of stock"
every few month friends/other players/serveradmins talk about LFS on TS/Sidechat/Forum and mention that there is no option to rent servers for other games.
from 2014-2016 afaik there was not a single word/advert/post/comment from LFS about any other game but origins.

conclusion: LFS is origins only

but maybe we just missed the right time window.
and LFS is older than 2014, although the website is from 2014 the FB page is from 2012
and there are tons of posts about other games from 2012-2014,
so maybe they stopped hosting other games around the time they picked up origins.

the server numbers are not correct, just compare it to the launcher.
but iirc it shows 214 origins servers for ages, maybe they just dont update it.
so maybe its not fake maybe its just laziness.

nah, i dont want to justify or whitewash but i dont want to condemn either.
i dont know enough to judge and i dont care enough for further investigations.

i wanted to share my thoughts because i talked about this topic a lot in the past
but i will stay out of this now.
osi1

Post by osi1 »

"In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right."
wikipedia

By releasing this mod under APL they are pretending donations as their only revenue while they are running a hosting company to generate earnings from this mod.
--> fraud
;)