Where did the players go?

General discussion about the Mod.
Mogidogi

Post by Mogidogi »

So I have not played origins since around 1.7, just before 1.8 update came out. I have now noticed looking at the player numbers on all the servers I used to play on and pretty much every server I can see, that there are only one or two with full population, and all the ones I used to go on are no longer full and now empty or with just around 4 people or something, this is the case for like 90% of servers. Global playerbase looks like its gone down by over half, what happened to make so many players leave, and is it worth installing the new update to play again or is the mod dead?
Natu

Post by Natu »

You can still play on populated server.
Arma 3 is outplaying Arma 2 but Arma 3 has nothing like Dayz Origins.
Maybe the 2017 mod will bring somethink like this in Arma 3 ^^ #hope
foppe96

Post by foppe96 »

The following are my thoughts:

After the 1.8 update did a lot of the community leave, because it was "too Hard". And now there are many guys ( maybe 20 or 30 till now) trying to join our server, but they get kicked. Probably because they didnt install the update correctly. None of them come back to our server, so i dont know what happened to them. I would like see some more guys again. Since the 1.8.2 update you can join servers, where you dont need to bandage 500ppl to get medic 1.1. So there is reason to flame anymore, that the game is too hard. The new content is really nice and they are still making new stuff for us.

In my opinion:
The devs are doing a good job. The direction of the updates makes the game more realistic (logical features like the zombie virus etc.) They hear on some suggestions like the friend system etc.. I really like those ideas, but i think it s not the opinion of the whole community. Idontknow, but that could be the reason that some guys left.

My answer is: The new update is definitly worth it. Try it and you ll find out. If you like it tell your friends that its still the best mod:). Then we have some more players again. Maybe some players just dont know the mod is still active and that good.
Not my best english :)
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

I think Origins is one of those games where people play it heavily for months, then take a break, and then return. I guess the problem also arises from losing everything you havebuilt/gained and if you need a little break - you lose it all, which means players probably lose the interest to come back.

Ive made a post on the forum about a vacation mode, where players can go on a break for a while without losing their buildings (you will lose vehicles tho which is only fair).

I have been playing Origins only since 1.7.9 so I am fairly new - Its been nearly a year I guess, pretty much every night but Im needing a slight break now, having to log in every 2.5 days to refresh everything is becoming a chore. I just need a two/three week break and Ill come back. I guess this is what others have found too... hopefully people will come back :)
osi1

Post by osi1 »

If you alright with loosing your vehicles you only have to log in every week to maintain your houses
Mogidogi

Post by Mogidogi »

As far as from what I've seen about it, many people have left due to not liking the new skill systems or the vehicle repair system.
In my experience these are okay, but I much preferred the pre-1.8 way of fixing these, which was simple and easy to understand. Nobody wants to have to spend 6 hours trying to repair a car because they need to find the specific wheels and a jack plus various other pieces of tools. Of course this is a more realistic approach to it, but I feel what many people think is, and I agree with them here, that realism does not equal fun sometimes and there needs to be found a balance between realism and fun. A balance that makes the gameplay not repetitive and grindy to such an extent that it becomes incredibly boring having to loot cycle industrial areas for several hours, especially so if you are a solo player.
I think many people want the game to be realistic because that is part of the genre of DayZ and the mod, but what needs to be understood is that realism is often less fun than the maybe not so realistic mechanics of before. Besides, its a video game, people play to have fun, I don't want to have to go through hours and hours of repetitive grinding and loot cycling just to be able to get a car working or something.
foppe96

Post by foppe96 »

in my opinion realism does equal to fun. I do understand your point and i think, more guys feel the same like you. But if i imagine the the skill and repair system would be like this from the beginning for example 1.0.0 and originsmod make an update 2.0.0 that deletes the actual skillsystem and the repair system etc. and put in a new repair system with only a toolbox.(like it was before) Everyone (i m pretty sure EVERYONE) would say bring us back the old system. I mean, that is only my point of view. And i have to say that the skill system is much better now where the admin can decide how hard it should be. So dont misunderstand me, i just want to say if a game gets more realistic it doesnt mean we have less fun.
osi1

Post by osi1 »

To fix a car to a driveable state you need the same amount of parts like before the update.
4 car wheels
1 tool (screwdriver)
Mogidogi

Post by Mogidogi »

Yeah, but there's also 3 different types of wheels and they now have condition levels, so you might not even be able to get your car to a driveable state if the wheels you find are low condition.
Some of the wheel types also seem to be absurdly rare. Having loot cycled several cities industrial areas several times looking for wheels for a motorcycle, I found absolutely 0 motorcycle wheels, and only about 2 car wheels alongside 1 truck wheel.
Also I would somewhat disagree with you on realism equaling fun, yes a certain degree of it is fun, but past a point it becomes a chore. And besides, nobody wants it so realistic that you have to stop and let your character take a shit every few ingame hours now do they? Not that anyone wants it that realistic Im sure, just an example.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

Mogidogi wrote: Having loot cycled several cities industrial areas several times looking for wheels for a motorcycle, I found absolutely 0 motorcycle wheels,

I believe these are found in the barns, not in the indutrial areas