Where did the players go?

General discussion about the Mod.
Rusty_Joe

Post by Rusty_Joe »

As mentioned, realism =/= fun. Maybe if you play PvE, it works. And that's great if you enjoy that. I think 1.8 is great for PvE.

But what has stopped people from returning is PvP gameplay.

For Origins players, it has always been about the unique gameplay. No game has ever created an adrenaline packed punch as Origins. In that sense, people just want to find ways to meet up and then, kill other groups. Imagine if World of Warcraft had it so you had to spend hours doing boring things before you can finally go into dungeons or go do clan battles. No one would play it and the game would not be a success like it is. Instead, what makes the game addicting is that people can go to dungeons and meet people. They can go to clan battles and meet people. It's all about interaction. That's what makes it popular.

So that's what happened here. The reasons that cause people to interact with other groups were either removed or slowed down.

If you have no car, you can't go out and loot. If you don't go out and loot, you can't build houses or grab enough food/weapons/parts to maintain your car/lifestyle. This means less people to fight. Less people to ambush. Less chances of survival. Less chances to build up your village/community. Less chances of going to Sector B. New groups and players have a harder time competing against already established opponents.
Because it requires too much commitment, no one wants to play that except for young teenagers who have hours and hours of free time.

I guarantee you 100% if they released 1.7+ Origins servers as an option, the population (and their income) will easily double. My old clan would return and so would others we were allied with.
osi1

Post by osi1 »

Ok, we can talk about the time consuming new features and the necessity of the huge amount of needed parts for skilling, but

As already mentioned, the amount of needed items/Tools to fix a car to a driveable state, their availability and the amount of cars is exact the same as before the update. It has not become more difficult to fix a car and drive around the map.

And even if you have to spend more time to loot/make a start, during that there will be interaction, as always.
Other players who are looting, Player who are hunting them, players who drive through...
Origins was always all about looting.
Otherwise players would chill in their bases.
That's the game concept:
Leave safe areas to get needed loot at unsafe areas, other players do the same and don't want to share, --> interaction
I can't follow your argumentation. How do affect the recent updates the occur of player interaction?
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

If anything pvp is more fun than it was before. More to lose, more to gain. Risk vs reward is a keystone to all survival games and while theres is much more to risk with all the tools etc. The thrill of the reward is that much greater.

And just like survival, you either adapt and change tactics or you fall by the wayside and die.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

Im liking the new skills, tools etc as it gives me something to do long term rather than smash the game, build a big base, get all the vehicles I want and complete Sec B. Too many players I used to playw ith, as soon as they had done those, quit DayZ - Im liking the longevity and challenge the new 1.8 brings.