#US01 Going full skills Discussion

General discussion about the Mod.
^2.

Post by ^2. »

Hey everyone,

Recently the server US001 (An official developer server) went full skills. Let`s discuss.

My opinion:

I recently came back to play the mod after getting tired of useless Arma 3 mods and since I`m a long time fan of Origins I decided to play on one of their servers and choose the US001, because of ping and their custom settings and set of rules. (Lock vehicles, exacavator resets, no nick change allowed, etc). After almost 3/4 days of constant grind to get that Mechanic level 1 thru, the server decided to go 100% full skills.

Here are my points:

- Why the developers spend MONTHS working on the skill feature, if they are giving it away? Wouldnt it be easier to make a set of craftable items?
- Anyone that has played on the server longer than 1 hour and trained any skill, lost their time.
- Skills are the end-game in my opinion and now it is gone.
- The reason behind was to increase population. I disagree. Unfortunately many people stop playing the mod because of other games that was recently released and a few of the hardcore arma fans have gone to Arma 3.
- Players were never questioned if they really wanted that.

I'd love to see the server go back to the regular skill configuration.
JoePowell

Post by JoePowell »

Hi,

The main reason for this decision was the fact of how advanced the server was and anyone new who wanted to join was put at a massive disadvantage facing clans with strongholds who had worked on their skills (and these players put a lot of time and effort into leveling I know) however for new players now it can be very difficult for them to compete.

I hope this clears things up.

Kind Regards,

-Joe
^2.

Post by ^2. »

JoePowell wrote:how advanced the server was and anyone new who wanted to join was put at a massive disadvantage facing clans with strongholds who had worked on their skills
Why not just wipe the server then? It has been done before. Then you put all the players on the same level.

You know what is a big disavantage? Having your name at the door of your house. Specially when you are new and have only one house to store your loot. This so called "clans with strongholds who had worked on their skills" MEANS NOTHING if I`m looting a single building and storing stuff on my house. IT DOES MATTER when they camp my house because they know my name. And guess what? On US001 is against the rules to change your name after your have build it.
JoePowell wrote: however for new players now it can be very difficult for them to compete.
Hasnt this been always like that? Even before skills, even before houses. Any player that join the game as a new player, will find it difficult to compete against those who have guns, those who have guns will find it difficult against those who have cars and those who have cars against those who have helis... and it keeps going.

Now a real question: What are the chances that this be reverted? If the community of the server dislikes it?

Now a real suggestion: Add tiers of difficulty to the experience gain.

For example: To reach the level 1.1 you need to fix to install 50 "orange quality" wheels. Then you set up the tiers:
Tier 4 (Hardcore) - Requires you to install 100 "orange quality" wheels
Tier 3 (Hard) - Requires you to install 75 "orange quality" wheels
Tier 2 (Normal) - Requires you to install 50 "orange quality" wheels
Tier 1 (Easy) - Requires you to install 25 "orange quality" wheels

This way you can even set up servers so on the first month they are Tier 4, the following 2 months on tier 3, then following 4 months on tier 2, and then for the rest of the serve lifetime on tier 1. So after half a year it will be alot easier for new players to join the server.
Miggs

Post by Miggs »

I personally am NOT in favor of 100% skills for this very reason (among other reasons). I feel that while giving these skills for free to new players may "help them compete" it leaves the players that worked very hard to earn those skills possibly feeling "cheated". However it is ultimately the Admins decision as it should be. Kudos to the devs to allow the admins the ability to do this. It allows them to shape the player base on their server.

This is why we allow skill transfer on our server. The logic being that if a player worked hard on another server to get their skills up they deserve the chance to play on another server with those skills carried over. It is a grind to get those skills up! Anyone that puts that time in has my full respect.
大王EMPerrorᕦ(¬‿¬)ᕤ

Post by 大王EMPerrorᕦ(¬‿¬)ᕤ »

I think it is a very natural result. The key to releasing a good game is to test every idea thoroughly during alpha. Please keep up the good work and we players are always interested in testing out new stuff.
^2.

Post by ^2. »

大王EMPerrorᕦ(¬‿¬)ᕤ wrote:I think it is a very natural result. The key to releasing a good game is to test every idea thoroughly during alpha. Please keep up the good work and we players are always interested in testing out new stuff.
Exactly that this is the exact oposite of what they did.

They release an amazing patch with new skills sets to be trained, experience gained, research to be completed, items to be dissasembled for research, books to be found, missions/sector B/Sabina Lab to be done in order to get RARER books... All that development to be thrown out the window with a 100% full skill server.

I do get it some people want trully pvp and dont want to grind. That`s the reason the INT005 was brought back up, isnt it? Now US001 that has been long time running with regular skill to be changed into full pvp means there isnt a single Official Server that uses a regular skill set.

EDIT ADDON:

Just to see how this whole " this is to balance old and new player " is a total bullshit. Just today, while trying to farm for myself I was shot by a helicopter with 4 "old players" runing a pink UH1H and Mk17 weapons, not once, not twice, but three times trying to return to my corpse. Guess what? Before this update there were not a single time I saw an attack helicopter in the air. GG... Way to turn this mod into Overpoch
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

As a long time us001 resident (aside from a break now and again) im kinda disappointed with them going pvp mode. All the people i know that play on it feel the same way. Maybe if enough of us gather together as majority of the server it can be changed back. I will post about it in the appropriate section but im thinking of getting a server with full skills if us001 doesnt revert back. I just gotta see how many people will play as i dont want to pay for a low pop server.
Thomas Sullivan Magnum

Post by Thomas Sullivan Magnum »

I only played US001 for a few weeks (unfortunately it was at a time I decided to take a break from Origins) - my feeling here is that on another server I worked my arse off for Mech 3.3 to be completed and I was allowed to transfer my skills to US001 but giving everyone all skills seems a bit unfair.

As a new player I found it difficult (not impossible) to progress and this was a good thing. A little bit of grinding never hurt anyone but it is about balance. Maybe just lower the amount of parts needed for skills. PvP servers will always be harder to progress skills, so perhaps for PvP server you should lower the parts needed to level up and for PvE servers, have it a little higher. Basically people will go on a low pop PvE server, level up their skills and then return to a PvP server maxxed out.

Maybe more players need to communicate what they want from the game and for the developers to try an communicate where they want to go with their ideas.
osi1

Post by osi1 »

If you are looking for an new server with enabled skill System, give this one a try:

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/ ... .217:3357/

It is in the top 30 of Arma 2 servers, active and very competent admins, longtime support (i'm playing on it for 18 Months), kind comunity, server events, own Homepage with trading system, nice mix of clans and solo players, English and German.

And i give you a old safe for free!!!