Origins Mod dies - counter-measures?

General discussion about the Mod.
ShowNoMercy

Post by ShowNoMercy »

The Arma 2 DayZ Mod Community shrinks from week to week - and with it the DayZ Origins Mod dies slowly.
The mod once was the the most played one of all DayZ Mods, around 2k players once played it on its peaks.

Even in the "low times" of the dayz mods with the release of the DayZ Standalone and various Arma 3 mods it stayed at a few hundred players, at least 6-8 servers were filled each night.

Since the latest updates came out (especially the ones that brought in the skill system) the player numbers are decreasing daily.

Servers like TavianaTactical, ZombieWorld and lately DE 001 Reloaded were full every night, nowadays they hardly get to cap.
The few times a day i look at the origins server list, i see 100, maybe 200 people playing the mod - if the number is even that high.

I really hate to see this mod dying slowly - so i want to find some counter-measures to keep it going!

Some things that came to my mind:

Let people choose their servers features
As far as i know there are only options for the following things on the server admin panel:
  • Difficulty
  • Fences yes/no
  • Trader Settings (on/off, Safezone yes/no)
  • Bot-Settings (difficulty, humanity-gain?)
  • various small settings (Lock on/off, Turbo on/off etc)
Why not add feature settings to it?? So people could build the server they want to.
Examples:
  • Old / New Clothing System
  • Skill-System on/off (and off does not mean 100%)
  • House-System (Everything, just until nesteds came out, only old houses...)
  • Sector B bot amount / Loot settings
  • Spawn-Settings for every custom/importante vehicle
  • Spawn-Settings for every mid- to high-tier weapon (remove DMR, lower M240 spawnrate etc for example)
In case this wouldnt be practicable:

Let people host older versions of the mod
There are many people i know that preferred the "old" DayZ Origins Mod - without the skill-system, the old clothing system. Some even prefer the versions without nested buildings.
So why not let people choose which version should be hosted on their server?

Example: current (skillsystem / clothing system), Pre-overhaul (basically the version before the big changes came) and "classic" (only old houses)

Open modfiles for the the community
Why not finally open the modfiles to the community? The Lagfreeservers-monopoly lately didnt anything good to the mod. Why not sell a license to use and modify the mod on our own servers?

Simply roll back to the more successful version
As said above, it feels like Origins did drop alot of players since the Skill-system update - so why not simply roll back to the old version?

Would love to hear some thoughts/suggestions from other people!
klosiklosi

Post by klosiklosi »

it starts again
Miggs

Post by Miggs »

There is an option for admins in regards to the skill system, all players have to do is pick a server that suits their style. If players do not like the enest, they can just build the regular houses. Not sure why anyone would want the option for enest outright removed when they can just choose to not build it?
CTL

Post by CTL »

I think the two biggest problems are that the old clothing system needs to be brought back and sector b guards shooting through walls needs to be fixed
ShowNoMercy

Post by ShowNoMercy »

You cannot turn off the skill system completely - you can just set it to 100%.
The timesink-mechanics that are the deceases and different mechanic-abilities are still in the game and need to be dealt with.
An option to simply turn off the feature completely would help.

Nested buildings give you an advantage of fighting out of them.
I personally dont care and built them in the past by my own - but some people prefer to not have them on their server.
But there is simply no way to deactivate them.
andex

Post by andex »

imo:
old games will die. its sad but natural.
gamers complain about changes (any kind), thats also totally normal.
going back to an old version wont bring the players back. --> you cant recreate the glory of the old days.
in fact, a forced rollback to an old version would kill the last bit of population.

my personal conspiracy theory:
we reached the final version. 1.8.2. was the last update for origins.
no new stuff, no going back to the past, maybe some bugfixes but thats it.
origins was the last arma2 mod in development but the devs are done.
sounds kinda sad, eh?

but wait. whats that? :shock:
quick, take my binoculars, look directly north.
can you see the vague shape appearing at the horizon?
its definitely something big approaching us
but its kinda blurry

...i guess we have to wait for it to come a little closer...
ShowNoMercy

Post by ShowNoMercy »

There are various games around that offer an "classic" / "vanilla" version of their game or let people choose which one they want to play.
Why shouldnt it work with the Origins Mod?
Simply let people choose between 2-3 Patches that mark different "milestones" of Origins - shouldnt be that hard, right?

This way nobody would be forced to do anything, there are just more possible ways to play the game for the community.

Ask the groups that played on the big servers if they would like to come back to the "old" origins pre-1.8 - and i bet there will be at least 75% of them throwing money at you instantly cause they loved it and played it whenever they had time.

The non-transparency / no news-policy that was always used by the Origins Mod devs doesnt help the whole thing either - but thats on another page.
=(eGO)=GoldenPSP

Post by =(eGO)=GoldenPSP »

The server files will never be released as long as they are still making money off of rented servers at lagfreeservers.
ShowNoMercy

Post by ShowNoMercy »

Latest update made Origins an Epoch clone with to high military and stronghold spawn...jesus...
GeneralMelchett

Post by GeneralMelchett »

ShowNoMercy wrote:Latest update made Origins an Epoch clone with to high military and stronghold spawn...jesus...
Hi,

Me and my admins ran TavianaTactical for 2 years. Altough i think we did a reasonable job for the years, I also have seen the community getting smaller and smaller. For me the reason to close down TT, was basically the community size and what comes with that.

TT always enforced strict rules on cheating, but since the past year I noticed no one really cares anymore, as cheaters simply know that it will be just a matter of time when the community moves on to a new server, with a clean banlist. Yes, it gives you room to dupe, glitch into houses, bans don't really count. At the moment, i see two servers filled with a few people we banned for duping and glitching.
The big problem for the hoster is, that with a community as small as this Origins at the moment, groups take control and can do whatever they want. "You don't agree with our terms?" They'll move half the server population to a new server and the admin + crew responsible for everything is left with nothing. There's no loyalty, nothing. It's all about their feelings, their pleasure, and their way of playing the game.

Alex, Martin and other devs i don't know, made DayZMod to perfection, but even that wasn't enough. The greedy and selfish community imho closed it's doors. I've seen so many times pro/verteran players housing newbies. Finally, after three hours of struggeling how to get OriginsMod working and your friends on the same server, your inventory gets emptied by a pro/veteran player who takes pride and joy in feeling your misery. So much I saw newbie houses getting emptied by pro players, players with 4 remat, with bandages and a couple of cement bags. People that kept road flares in their houses... None of that was safe for the pride of some people, they needed their daily protein of selfishness, in their desperate seek for respect and loyalty.

I went all the way to the end hosting TT to a point where i didn't saw a future anymore. OriginsMod is amazing, but the community and the selfishness of people destoryed it completely. One or two servers are left, full of these people, and newbies have no real chance, it will be a matter of hours before a hungry selfish kid needs to prove himself to his friends and empty his house with his FAL vs his mp5sd.