Dare I touch this ever so "sensitive" topic?

General discussion about the Mod.
Hololand

Post by Hololand »

So origins is a great mod. One of the few that have stuck to their roots and still have an active player base to date.
However.

Arma 2 is rampant with cheaters, glitchers, hackers and just genuine scumbags now. I have spoken to several origins admins who have expressed how much difficulty they are having even trying to control the cheater situation. I am convinced a good 30-40% of players have ESP and are trying to hide it. And another 5-10% just come on, hack blatantly and get banned. This is all mainly down to the low price of the game.

I think it has reached the time where Arma 3 would be a much better option for Hosting Origins, Arma 3 is better optimized, Has an inbuilt clothing system, Looks better and has more players and less cheaters. However the Origins Dev team seem to detest anything "Arma 3" Any forum post like this one that mentions Arma 3 is avoided like the plague by devs, If you ask a dev about Arma 3 he will say nope origins will not be on Arma 3 and end the conversation.

All I ask is for some information. Why the developers hate Arma 3 so much, And Why we won't see origins on Arma 3?
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

I dont think that they hate arma3 by any means. They are a small dev team who work on the mod in their spare time. It would be too much time for them to invest IMO. By the time they got done porting arma 4 will be just around the corner and will have to do it all over again when people ask why its not on the superior arma 4 engine and arma 3 is dead. Just my 2 cents
Hololand

Post by Hololand »

I am 99.99% sure Arma 4 will not be released until at least 2019, Many of origins features are already in Arma 3 also so porting would not be so complicated, For example the clothes system is a part of arma 3, So is the vehicle modification system. And things like the class system, Building, Assets, looting etc have already been done in many mods and are somewhat simple. Arma 3 is also far from dead or dying, The average player count on Arma 3 is as high as it has ever been, averaging about 40-50k players. Compared to 2015 where it averaged about 30-40k players. I honestly think origins would be so much better on Arma 3 and also have far less cheaters. But again I can only speculate how long it would take to port. I would love to actually get a response from the devs and see what they have to say.
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

I never said arma 3 was dead lol. Say arma 4 did come out q4 of 2019, its 2017 now. If it takes 8 months to port(will take longer but lets just say they get some help) that leaves about 1 year until arma 4 hits and they have to port again.

Don't take this the wrong way but the horse your beating is long dead. Alot of us, im sure even some of the devs would love to see origins on arma3 but its not the path they want to take the mod in. They do not owe an explanation to anyone as to why.

Other than the complexity of porting they also may not be able to under Bohemias licensing agreement(kinda like how epoch had to start from scratch instead of porting. And i can definitely say epoch is far more alive on arma 2 than arma 3.

I dont think i have seen a dev post on here in over a year so facebook would be the better place to ask, but you will get less information at to their reasons than i am giving now.

But for all we know thay are porting and just want it to be a surprise.
Hololand

Post by Hololand »

With development still pursuing on the A2 version I doubt its a hidden project for Arma 3, But hey we can only hope.
The hacker situation on Arma 2 is really out of hand.
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

Paliubomu wrote:Since devs earning money from lfs for renting servers they wont move to arma 3 or even arma 4, why dont u get it...
p.s if i get ban here or chat ban i'm not surprised
Dont worry, no ban for you :roll: Its really not a secret that they earn money via LFS. What bothers me is how much people seem to detest that they make money from THEIR hard work.

I wish they did have an open source model since i would love to have the server files myself with the ability to edit them and add/subtract content. But that is not what they chose to do, and nobody should tell any other person or people what to do with their art/property. Its almost like an artist handing out prints of their work for free for everyone to enjoy(Origins is a free mod to play), but everyone gets salty caus they feel entitled to the original.
IceBlade

Post by IceBlade »

I'd settle for them releasing the rights to Taviana. My favourite map and I can't even play it on Arma 3. I agree that they should be able to make a bit of cash from their hard work but c'mon. How old is this mod? Port it while you have the chance or let someone else do it before it's forgotten and abandoned and somebody else creates something in it's place.

That being said, I have high hopes for the new Desolation mod. Google it, man. Not released yet but they're getting close to alpha.
ishootpaint

Post by ishootpaint »

IceBlade wrote:I'd settle for them releasing the rights to Taviana.
That in itself would be amazing. Taviania is by far the best arma map IMO. Almost feels like a second home after all these years.